Local time: 05:56
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Apr 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

journalist Beppe Severgnini's Italian-language book Inglesi, a humourous account of his stint in London during the Eighties.

I hated that book. It was all wrong about England and the English. Italians only see what they want to see. In the same way in which all those books by expat English people, about Italy, are always wrong about the Italians. How charming and delightful they are, etc. But of course not to be taken seriously.

Interesting to note that Severgnini needs an English translator. Why am I not surprised?

[Edited at 2015-04-04 08:59 GMT]

Gosh, Tom, overall, you really are an angry person, aren't you?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
NOthing Apr 4, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Gosh, Tom, overall, you really are an angry person, aren't you?

You haven't seen anything yet. It's only 10 a.m.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:56
Italian to English
In memoriam
Stereotypes Apr 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I hated that book. It was all wrong about England and the English. Italians only see what they want to see. In the same way in which all those books by expat English people, about Italy, are always wrong about the Italians. How charming and delightful they are, etc. But of course not to be taken seriously.

Whatever you think about the point of view, the book is still well-written and well-observed. Indeed, the fact that it was observed at all - as opposed to merely retailing commonplaces - was a breath of fresh air in comparison with most Italian writing about the UK, or English writing about Italy, as you say.

Interesting to note that Severgnini needs an English translator. Why am I not surprised?

What's so odd about that?

Beppe can deliver an effective lecture in English at the drop of an invitation but writing an article directly in a foreign language demands a radical switch of cultural as well as linguistic codes. It's not easy to do this to a tight deadline if you are already turning out hundreds of publication-ready words a day in your native language.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign language errors in literature?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »