Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 24, 2005

March 24, 1905 - March 24, 2005

Tribute to Jules Verne

Together with Wells, this French writer was the founding father of science fiction. Among his books: From the Earth to the Moon, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in 80 Days,Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea...and so many others you probably have enjoy
... See more

March 24, 1905 - March 24, 2005

Tribute to Jules Verne

Together with Wells, this French writer was the founding father of science fiction. Among his books: From the Earth to the Moon, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in 80 Days,Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea...and so many others you probably have enjoyed.

A great admirer of Poe (whom he had met thanks to Baudelaire's translation of Poe's works), he wrote A Voyage in Balloon, under Poe's influence.

Most of his book required research, as he did not have the education of a scientist (like his father, Verne he had studied law).

For over 40 years Verne published at least one book per year on a wide range subjects. Although he wrote about exotic places, he traveled relatively little - his only balloon flight lasted twenty-four minutes. In a letter to Hetzel he confessed: "I must be slightly off my head. I get caught up in all the extraordinary adventures of my heroes. I regret only one thing, not being able to accompany them pedibus cum jambis."

My humble tribute to an old friend from my childhood. Probably yours, too.

Au

Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just heard an anecdote Mar 24, 2005

As a small boy, he ran away from home. His father found him on ship bound for India, ready to become a deck-hand in order to work his passage. He made the child promise not to travel anymore unless it was in his imagination... and he actually kept that promise.

It must have been frustrating. All the same, that imagination took so many people to so many different worlds.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 02:34
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for this posting Mar 25, 2005

He was one of my favorite writers as probably for millions of kids worldwide for generations - a great person, an awesome writer. Thank you for this posting!

Parrot wrote:

As a small boy, he ran away from home. His father found him on ship bound for India, ready to become a deck-hand in order to work his passage. He made the child promise not to travel anymore unless it was in his imagination... and he actually kept that promise.

It must have been frustrating. All the same, that imagination took so many people to so many different worlds.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100th Anniversary of the Death of Jules Verne

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »