Thread poster: ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD
ANAYANSI KONRAD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2005

I volunteer as a docent at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art www.ogdenmuseum.org in New Orleans (LA).I've been doing some catalog translations for some of the art exhibits they have opened recently, since I'm the only docent they have that speaks both English and Spanish.

I really enjoyed the experience and was wondering if there is any market in this field?

If so, I'd like to further
... See more
I volunteer as a docent at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art www.ogdenmuseum.org in New Orleans (LA).I've been doing some catalog translations for some of the art exhibits they have opened recently, since I'm the only docent they have that speaks both English and Spanish.

I really enjoyed the experience and was wondering if there is any market in this field?

If so, I'd like to further my education in contemporary art and specialize in this type of translations.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome (in both languages)!
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Museum work May 12, 2005

Anayansi wrote:

If so, I'd like to further my education in contemporary art and specialize in this type of translations.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome (in both languages)!

Hi Anayansi,

Museum work is usually underpaid, and whatever extra work you do is considered part of your remit as a curator. You're better off if you look for a publisher that publishers books in the area that you are translation on. Your experience at the museum will be valuable for them.

Best of luck,
Claudio

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Auctions, auctions, auctions! May 12, 2005

Anayansi wrote:

You can translate stuff for auctions. I work for a newspaper's advertising department and we do auction notices which often contain names and descriptions of art works. Some people find it very interesting...

I think you should focus on general art knowledge and *spelling* of names... that'll be your biggest head-aches.

ANAYANSI KONRAD
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great insight! May 12, 2005

Claudio and Samuel, thanks for the great insight you've given me regarding my posting, specially the one about auction houses, here in New Orleans there are several that I'm hopeful would be interested in my assistance!

...I'll be sure to let you know how things develop...otra vez, gracias!

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Guiding also May 13, 2005

Hi Ayayansi,

once you get inside translating art texts, you get somehow hooked to the content, and logically understand it quite well.

A suggestion might be (for extra times) to guide people through the museums you worked on..

It's very rewarding to explain in simple words, sophisticated arts, history and archeology matters to ordinary public, just look in their eyes, and you may see your reward. I've done it for almost 20 years and still enjoy it.
<
... See more
Hi Ayayansi,

once you get inside translating art texts, you get somehow hooked to the content, and logically understand it quite well.

A suggestion might be (for extra times) to guide people through the museums you worked on..

It's very rewarding to explain in simple words, sophisticated arts, history and archeology matters to ordinary public, just look in their eyes, and you may see your reward. I've done it for almost 20 years and still enjoy it.

Salaam,

Ouadoud
Collapse

ANAYANSI KONRAD
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being a museum docent is the best reward May 13, 2005

Ouadoud wrote:

Hi Ayayansi,

Salaam,

Ouadoud

I definitely agree with you, translating the catalogs for the Spanish speaking community is just another way of getting greater rewards and you kill two pigeons with one stone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Art & Museum Catalogs Translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »