Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 8, 2005

Just came across this page:

http://www.wordtheque.com/pls/wordtc/new_wordtheque.borsino_en?lang=it&source=search

Eva

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not just the job offer, the whole site is useful Aug 8, 2005

From its home page
http://www.wordtheque.com/pls/wordtc/new_wordtheque.main?lang=en&source=search
you have access to a huge library of texts and translations of literary works. The "universal conjugator" for verbs in virtually any language could be very useful to many people. And more besides.

Thank you!

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 11:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Even more surprising Aug 9, 2005

This resource is really good. They invested a lot to put so much content into it. And even more surprising is that it was done by a purely for-profit software localization, translation etc. organization -http://www.logos.net/en/company/about_us.html. If only big players in this business were doing such mutually benificial PR/advertising/promotion campaigns.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mutually benificial Aug 9, 2005

Aluf wrote:

This resource is really good. They invested a lot to put so much content into it. And even more surprising is that it was done by a purely for-profit software localization, translation etc. organization -http://www.logos.net/en/company/about_us.html. If only big players in this business were doing such mutually benificial PR/advertising/promotion campaigns.

They're true saints. I see they're even still advertising Wordfast for free.

Regards,
Gerard

GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Really trustworthy? Aug 9, 2005

I must admit that it sounds really interesting but is it really trustworthy? Just go and pick a title which has ostensibly not been translated so far or waits for translation sounds almost too easy for me. What about the rights etc?

Greetings
Anett Kiefer

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
German to English
No promise of publication Aug 9, 2005

All the works listed in the German section are probably in the public domain, so rights are not an issue. However, check the phrase "Your translation will be sold online, and Wordtheque will pay you a royalty. . " You'll have to do the translation, and then the translation will be marketed online. If no one is interested in publishing a new translation of Eckermann's "Conversations with Goethe," for example, you will have spent a lot of time with no financial reward.

On the other h
... See more
All the works listed in the German section are probably in the public domain, so rights are not an issue. However, check the phrase "Your translation will be sold online, and Wordtheque will pay you a royalty. . " You'll have to do the translation, and then the translation will be marketed online. If no one is interested in publishing a new translation of Eckermann's "Conversations with Goethe," for example, you will have spent a lot of time with no financial reward.

On the other hand, someone with a lot of time on his/her hands might want to give it a shot, if there's no financial investment involved.
Collapse

nuvo
nuvo
Indonesia
Local time: 15:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
How can I join the project? Aug 10, 2005

It's a great site, but I still wonder how can I join the translator exchange project. There is only a contract form, and no other instruction to follow. Thank you

Abdul Mukhid

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
Local time: 04:05
English to French
Amazing Aug 10, 2005

I went on the site but I can not understand where to get the translation. An other thing, I am from Canada and the site does not mention the Canada. So can I participate?

Thank you,

Lise

Volha K
Volha K
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
May be this will help. Aug 12, 2005

This project seems to be quite easy to join. See below the response I received after e-mailing them my questions.

>dear Olga,
>
>I should first of all point out that our aim is to foster ?>literary translators by publishing their translations free of >charge on our Wordtheque digital library website. Although they >will not be remunerated for their work, they can decide that >their translations may not be downloaded free; instead they >would be available from the transl
... See more
This project seems to be quite easy to join. See below the response I received after e-mailing them my questions.

>dear Olga,
>
>I should first of all point out that our aim is to foster ?>literary translators by publishing their translations free of >charge on our Wordtheque digital library website. Although they >will not be remunerated for their work, they can decide that >their translations may not be downloaded free; instead they >would be available from the translators themselves in txt or pdf >format. In that event the full proceeds would belong to them if >anyone wished to purchase their texts.
>
>
>The text to be translated must be free of copyright. We have >put forward some proposals on the Borsino del Traduttore page, >however, the translator is free to offer another text.
>
>There is no need to inform us of the title in advance and there >is no time limit. When delivering the translated text, we ask >you to attach the contract duly completed by the translator. We >also ask you to send us a brief translator biography which will >be published on our pages. This biography can be accessed >directly from the page containing the published translation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordtheque - job offer for literary translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »