Argentina
Local time: 03:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2005

Nobel literature prize announcement delayed

Speculation mounts that academy members deeply divided on selection

[...]

By tradition, the 18-member group that makes up the 219-year-old institution, announces on a Tuesday that it will name the winner the following Thursday at 7 a.m. EDT.

[...]

Ahead of the academy's likely announcement next week, several authors, including Philip Roth and Joyce Carol Oates have been tout
... See more
Nobel literature prize announcement delayed

Speculation mounts that academy members deeply divided on selection

[...]

By tradition, the 18-member group that makes up the 219-year-old institution, announces on a Tuesday that it will name the winner the following Thursday at 7 a.m. EDT.

[...]

Ahead of the academy's likely announcement next week, several authors, including Philip Roth and Joyce Carol Oates have been touted by Nobel watchers, along with Margaret Atwood of Canada and Nuruddin Farah of Somalia.

Other perennials include Peruvian-born Mario Vargas Llosa. Europeans have won the literature prize in nine of the past 10 years, so the experts think the academy may look elsewhere this year.

Last year, the prize went to Austrian writer Elfriede Jelinek. In 2003, it went to South African writer J.M. Coetzee.

Other names bandied about as winners, or at least strong favorites for the 2005 prize, include Syrian poet Ali Ahmad Said, known as Adonis; Korean poet Ko Un; and Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9592009/

[Edited at 2005-10-13 11:53]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:02
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
my guess Oct 9, 2005

My guess it will be between Somalia, Syria or Korean nominees this year.

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Ahead of the academy's likely announcement next week, several authors, including Philip Roth and Joyce Carol Oates have been touted by Nobel watchers, along with Margaret Atwood of Canada and Nuruddin Farah of Somalia.
Last year, the prize went to Austrian writer Elfriede Jelinek. In 2003, it went to South African writer J.M. Coetzee.

Other names bandied about as winners, or at least strong favorites for the 2005 prize, include Syrian poet Ali Ahmad Said, known as Adonis; Korean poet Ko Un; and Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9592009/

[Edited at 2005-10-09 16:10]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:02
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Field day for Canadian / female would not hurt... Oct 9, 2005

like Alice Munro, M.Atwood, JC Oates, Annie Proulx. Actually JC and AP are NEARLY Canadian, so I guess Governor General should step in;)

smo

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:32
English to Hindi
+ ...
Resistance... Oct 9, 2005

Names like Nuruddin Farah, Mahmoud Darwish should crop up in one's mind...I thought Coetzee got it somewhat early, though he was undoubtedly a good choice.

Why should they ignore Ngugi Wa Thiongo? Ngugi is personally a symbol of resistance to oppression.

They got Wole Soyinka but they ignored someone who was his contemporary and friend, and perhaps greater, Chinua Achebe.

It is said that those who get the Nobel Prizes [atleast this is true of Literature] ar
... See more
Names like Nuruddin Farah, Mahmoud Darwish should crop up in one's mind...I thought Coetzee got it somewhat early, though he was undoubtedly a good choice.

Why should they ignore Ngugi Wa Thiongo? Ngugi is personally a symbol of resistance to oppression.

They got Wole Soyinka but they ignored someone who was his contemporary and friend, and perhaps greater, Chinua Achebe.

It is said that those who get the Nobel Prizes [atleast this is true of Literature] are great but those who do not get it are greater.

Notable non-awardees include Leo Tolstoy and Alejo Carpentier. And you might add Mario Vargas Llosa. [Poor man, just because he fought an election for President in Peru (and lost it) does not mean you never give him the Nobel Prize.]

Roomy Naqvy
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:02
German to English
Ever read Pearl S. Buck? Oct 9, 2005

I haven't and don't plan to because there is so much to read and so little time. I've never seen Pearl Buck on any serious reading list.

Pearl Buck won it in 1938 and forever after had to endure being everyone's favourite example of the Nobel committee's stupidity.
http://www.robertfulford.com/Bellow.html

"Universal Interest" (the 1930s)
In line with the requ
... See more
I haven't and don't plan to because there is so much to read and so little time. I've never seen Pearl Buck on any serious reading list.

Pearl Buck won it in 1938 and forever after had to endure being everyone's favourite example of the Nobel committee's stupidity.
http://www.robertfulford.com/Bellow.html

"Universal Interest" (the 1930s)
In line with the requirement "the greatest benefit on mankind", the Academy of the 1930s tried a new approach, equating this "mankind" with the immediate readership of the works in question. A report of its Committee stated "universal interest" as a criterion and the Academy decided on writers within everybody's reach, from Sinclair Lewis to Pearl Buck, repudiating exclusive poets like Paul Valéry and Paul Claudel.
http://nobelprize.org/literature/articles/espmark/

As to the early prizes, the censure of bad choices and blatant omissions is often justified. Tolstoy, Ibsen and Henry James should have been rewarded instead of, for instance, Sully Prudhomme, Eucken and Heyse.

http://nobelprize.org/literature/articles/espmark/
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Omissions... Oct 9, 2005

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Oct 9, 2005

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

My guess it will be between Somalia, Syria or Korean nominees this year.

I agree with Vladimir. I would add Margaret Atwood to the list of candidates with more chances.

Au

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
winners and forgettable winners Oct 9, 2005

And some winners just fade into oblivion just as quickly as their stars rise when they're given the money and medal and their hand shaken by the King of Sweden: Agnon, Sachs, Kawabata, Asturias, Martinson, Montale, Undset, Bergson, etc.

Or maybe these are just the authors I can't read in the original language. I'm probably biased towards Anglo-Saxon, Russian, German and South American writers since I can read them directly.

Anecdote: was in Castries, St. Lucia last Marc
... See more
And some winners just fade into oblivion just as quickly as their stars rise when they're given the money and medal and their hand shaken by the King of Sweden: Agnon, Sachs, Kawabata, Asturias, Martinson, Montale, Undset, Bergson, etc.

Or maybe these are just the authors I can't read in the original language. I'm probably biased towards Anglo-Saxon, Russian, German and South American writers since I can read them directly.

Anecdote: was in Castries, St. Lucia last March on a cruise. This, of course, is where the great narrative poet, Derek Walcott (Nobel: 1992), was born. Went to some local bookstores. Found Omeros and some collected works, printed locally. Cost almost nothing. The books were slumped fornlornly next to howto and diet books. Wondered what Derek would've thought slumped next to a smiling woman with a bowl of bananas and watermelons.

Oh, if one of the criteria for selection is "contribution to mankind", then someone should nominate Joanne Rowling! 103 million books in print plus all the untold millions of children (and their parents) gaga over her. Just imagine the howls of protest.
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Inside info Oct 10, 2005

From a classmate working at the Swedish Academy, I have it that the prize will be announced on a Thursday. Which Thursday will be made public on the preceding Tuesday. Therefore the Academy will inform us tomorrow or Oct 18 (or Oct 25...) and the result will be known on Oct 13, 20 or 27.
The reason for this year's 'delay' is the rule, that their deliberations are to start on the first Thursday after Sept 15. Now, this year the 15th was a Thursday, so the start this year was as late as it c
... See more
From a classmate working at the Swedish Academy, I have it that the prize will be announced on a Thursday. Which Thursday will be made public on the preceding Tuesday. Therefore the Academy will inform us tomorrow or Oct 18 (or Oct 25...) and the result will be known on Oct 13, 20 or 27.
The reason for this year's 'delay' is the rule, that their deliberations are to start on the first Thursday after Sept 15. Now, this year the 15th was a Thursday, so the start this year was as late as it could.

As you can see, there is no linkage between the other prizes and the literary one.

Mats
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mats Oct 11, 2005

I just read that the Academia Argentina de Letras proposed two writers: Magris and our old friend, George Steiner.

I thought that the decision was 100% in the hands of the Academy Jury. Would this mean that certain prestigious institutions can propose candidates to help in the process of selection? Could you ask your 'contact', Mats?

Au... See more
I just read that the Academia Argentina de Letras proposed two writers: Magris and our old friend, George Steiner.

I thought that the decision was 100% in the hands of the Academy Jury. Would this mean that certain prestigious institutions can propose candidates to help in the process of selection? Could you ask your 'contact', Mats?

Au

For those of you who can read Spanish:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/herramientas/SoloTexto/Nota.asp?nota_id=745699

[Edited at 2005-10-11 12:21]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question for Mats Oct 11, 2005

Which is the correct pronunciation of the word 'Nobel'?

Au

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
This year's Nobel Laureate will be announced on THURSDAY 13, 13:00 CET Oct 11, 2005

according to the Swedish Academy today.

Nobel in Swedish is [Nohbe'll] [Ahlfred Nohbell]
o like 'au' in 'laureate'

I'll see if I can be fast enough on Thursday.

Mats

[Edited at 2005-10-11 20:52]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
The Orx or the Complaint Oct 12, 2005

I bet on Margaret Atwood. Just read her stupendous Oryx and Crane. Or even Philip Roth. Who can beat Portnoy's Complaint?!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 12, 2005

Mats Wiman wrote:
Nobel in Swedish is [Nohbe'll] [Ahlfred Nohbell]
o like 'au' in 'laureate'

Thank you so much, Mats.

I'll see if I can be fast enough on Thursday.
Mats

The microphone is all yours. We'll be waiting for your announcement.

Au (like in /'house/ )

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 13, 2005

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Harold Pinter awarded the 2005 Nobel Literature Prize

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »