Thread poster: Luís Coutinho
Luís Coutinho
Luís Coutinho
Local time: 11:49
Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 11, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I have two questions not directly related to the translation of any term.

Here are my questions:

1- Is there any Internet site from which I can download electronic invoices for translation services (invoices that I can send to foreign customers as well, both within the European Union and outside)?
2- I am a professional translator with several years of experience in technical areas but I would like to start a career as a literary tran
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have two questions not directly related to the translation of any term.

Here are my questions:

1- Is there any Internet site from which I can download electronic invoices for translation services (invoices that I can send to foreign customers as well, both within the European Union and outside)?
2- I am a professional translator with several years of experience in technical areas but I would like to start a career as a literary translator (yeah… I made a vowel of poverty…). I would like to ask all colleagues with experience in this specific field for their good advice on this subject. ANY advice is more than welcome, but I would be specially interested in gathering information on the best ways to get the customers who usually contract this kind of services, who/which institutions to contact, which editors are more inclined to contracting freelance/in-house literary translators, literary translators’ associations (if there are any), authors’ associations, etc. I would greatly appreciate also all information on bibliographical material on the subject of literary translation.

TO THE DUTCH COLLEAGUES

Since I am a “buitenlander” recently established in your country, I would like to kindly ask you for all important information concerning the activity of freelance translator in the Netherlands:

1- Do I need to register somewhere to be able to legally provide translations to clients within the E. U.? and to clients outside the E. U.?
2- How does it work here with invoices, receipts, etc.?
3- How is the taxation system for this activity in The Netherlands? (I have a “regular”, fulltime job as well)

Let me thank you in advance for your kind help

Luis Miguel Coutinho

[email protected]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome! Nov 11, 2005

Dear Luis,

Nice to have you here in the Literature/Poetry Forum.

A couple of comments.

I will not move your thread to another forum as one of your concerns has to do with literature (advice required from experienced literature translators). However, you have two more concerns that have to do with two other fora:

1) invoicing (I have just seen that you have already posted this same thread in a more appropriate forum). Of course you are not imply
... See more
Dear Luis,

A couple of comments.

I will not move your thread to another forum as one of your concerns has to do with literature (advice required from experienced literature translators). However, you have two more concerns that have to do with two other fora:

1) invoicing (I have just seen that you have already posted this same thread in a more appropriate forum). Of course you are not implying that literary translators are never involved with invoices, uh? (just kidding!)

2) you could post your question to Dutch translators here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/36

Kind regards,

Au
Collapse

Luís Coutinho
Luís Coutinho
Local time: 11:49
Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Nov 11, 2005

Estimada colega Aurora,

Muchas gracias por su amable respuesta y por sus consejos

Muchas gracias,

Miguel

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Dear Luis,

A couple of comments.

1) invoicing (I have just seen that you have already posted this same thread in a more appropriate forum). Of course you are not implying that literary translators are never involved with invoices, uh? (just kidding!)

2) you could post your question to Dutch translators here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/36

Kind regards,

Au

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing/Literary translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »