Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Andre Breton was born on February 18, 1896 Feb 18, 2006

less time

Less time than it takes to say it, less tears than it takes to die; I've taken account of everything, there you have it. I've made a census of the stones, they are as numerous as my fingers and some others; I've distributed some pamphlets to the plants, but not all were willing to accpet them. I've kept company with music for a secon
... See more

less time

Less time than it takes to say it, less tears than it takes to die; I've taken account of everything, there you have it. I've made a census of the stones, they are as numerous as my fingers and some others; I've distributed some pamphlets to the plants, but not all were willing to accpet them. I've kept company with music for a second only and now I no longer know what to think of suicide, for if I ever want to part from myself, the exit is on this side and, I add mischievously, the entrance, the re-entrance is on the other. You see what you still have to do. Hours, grief, I don't keep a reasonable account of them; I'm alone, I look out of the window; there is no passerby, or rather no one passes (underline passes). You don't know this man? It's Mr. Same. May I introduce Madam Madam? And their children. Then I turn back on my steps, my steps turn back too, but I don't know exactly what they turn back on. I consult a schedule; the names of the towns have been replaced by the names of people who have been quite close to me. Shall I go to A, return to B, change at X? Yes, of course I'll change at X. Provided I don't miss the connection with boredom! There we are: boredom, beautiful parallels, ah! how beautiful the parallels are under God's perpendicular.

(Andre Breton - Translator into English is unknown)
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anaïs, genio y figura Feb 21, 2006

She was born Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell on February 21, 1903, in Neuilly-sur-Seine, a suburb of Paris.

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.
- Anaïs Nin

[Edited at 2006-02-21 04:23]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 21, 2006

Susana Galilea wrote:

She was born Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell on February 21, 1903, in Neuilly-sur-Seine, a suburb of Paris.

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.
- Anaïs Nin

[Edited at 2006-02-21 04:23]

I will 'invite' Eledu to her birthday party (also big Henry Miller's fan).

Anaïs Nin...hers is a musical name!

Au

Eduardo Pérez
Eduardo Pérez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
My experience Feb 22, 2006

She hit me like a freight train. I began "Incest" because of Miller, to tell you the truth, a chance to have another perspective. But as the book advances (I´m still at it), Miller disappears, or rather, he goes to the background. She tells everything and even too much, I feel, which is an odd thing, and it´s great to feel the sincerity in her lines! Perhaps it´s the epistolary nature of the book, which I´m not quite familiar with, that´s luring me so much into it. It´s one of those books ... See more
She hit me like a freight train. I began "Incest" because of Miller, to tell you the truth, a chance to have another perspective. But as the book advances (I´m still at it), Miller disappears, or rather, he goes to the background. She tells everything and even too much, I feel, which is an odd thing, and it´s great to feel the sincerity in her lines! Perhaps it´s the epistolary nature of the book, which I´m not quite familiar with, that´s luring me so much into it. It´s one of those books you need to read bit by bit because it calls for that, and you enjoy it so much you don´t want to end it! An amazing woman, really. Thanks for the book, Au.
Edu

[Edited at 2006-02-22 16:29]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, boy! Feb 22, 2006

Eduardo P鲥z wrote:

(I´m still at it)

Thanks for the book, Au.
Edu

Take your time. I have not even started Sexus (this is not a metaphor ).

Au

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Victor Hugo was born on February 26, 1802, in Besancon, France. Feb 26, 2006

More strong than time

SINCE I have set my lips to your full cup, my sweet,
Since I my pallid face between your hands have laid,
Since I have known your soul, and all the bloom of it,
And all the perfume rare, now buried in the shade;

Since it was given to me to hear on happy while,
The words whe
... See more

More strong than time

SINCE I have set my lips to your full cup, my sweet,
Since I my pallid face between your hands have laid,
Since I have known your soul, and all the bloom of it,
And all the perfume rare, now buried in the shade;

Since it was given to me to hear on happy while,
The words wherein your heart spoke all its mysteries,
Since I have seen you weep, and since I have seen you smile,
Your lips upon my lips, and your eyes upon my eyes;

Since I have known above my forehead glance and gleam,
A ray, a single ray, of your star, veiled always,
Since I have felt the fall, upon my lifetime's stream,
Of one rose petal plucked from the roses of your days;

I now am bold to say to the swift changing hours,
Pass, pass upon your way, for I grow never old,
Fleet to the dark abysm with all your fading flowers,
One rose that none may pluck, within my heart I hold.

Your flying wings may smite, but they can never spill
The cup fulfilled of love, from which my lips are wet;
My heart has far more fire than you can frost to chill,
My soul more love than you can make my soul forget.

Victor Hugo
Translated by Andrew Lang (1844-1912).

I guess a more gramatically correct 'Stronger than time' (or at least one somebody who has English as a second language would have expected in the first place) would not have been as a poetic translation as 'More strong than time'... What differece do English speakers perceive?

Au
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On March 26, 1911... Mar 26, 2006

Thomas Lanier Williams was born on March 26, 1911 in Columbus, Mississippi. His father, Cornelius Coffin Williams, was a shoe salesman who spent a great deal of his time away from the family. Williams had one older sister and one younger brother. They spent much of their childhood in the home of their maternal grandfather who
... See more

Thomas Lanier Williams was born on March 26, 1911 in Columbus, Mississippi. His father, Cornelius Coffin Williams, was a shoe salesman who spent a great deal of his time away from the family. Williams had one older sister and one younger brother. They spent much of their childhood in the home of their maternal grandfather who was an Episcopal minister. In 1927, Williams got his first taste of literary acclaim when he placed third in a national essay contest sponsored by The Smart Set magazine. The essay was entitled "Can a Good Wife Be a Good Sport?"

Williams studied for several years at the University of Missouri, but withdrew before completing his degree and took a job in St. Louis at the International Shoe Company where his father worked. Other odd jobs with which he supported himself included waiter, elevator operator, and theater usher. He eventually returned to school and received a degree from the University of Iowa in 1938. Whether in school or working in the factory, Williams was constantly writing.

In 1939, Williams moved to New Orleans and formally adopted his college nickname "Tennessee" - which was the state of his father's birth.

http://www.lambda.net/~maximum/williams.html

Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On May 2, 1772 Novalis was born May 2, 2006

German poet who influenced later Romantic thought, sometimes called 'the prophet of Romanticism'. Novalis took his pseudonym from "de Novali", a name his family had formerly used. The central image of Novalis' visions, a blue flower, became later a symbol of longing among Romantics.[...] Georg Friedrich
... See more

German poet who influenced later Romantic thought, sometimes called 'the prophet of Romanticism'. Novalis took his pseudonym from "de Novali", a name his family had formerly used. The central image of Novalis' visions, a blue flower, became later a symbol of longing among Romantics.[...] Georg Friedrich Philipp von Hardenburg (Novalis) was born in Oberwiederstedt, Prussian Saxony, into a family of Protestant Lower Saxon nobility. His father was the director of a salt mine. At the age of ten Novalis was sent to a religious school but he did not adjust to its strict discipline. For some time Novalis lived with his uncle, grandseigneur, who opened for him doors to French rationalism and culture. He then went to Weissenfels, to where his father moved, and entered the Eisleben gymnasium. In 1790-91 he studied law at the University of Jena, where he met Friedrich von Schiller and Friedrich Schlegel. Novalis completed his studies at Wittenberg in 1793. The ideas of the French Revolution spread through Germany and Novalis dreamt of a time when the "walls of Jericho" would tumble down.

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/novalis.htm

Novalis, in one of his fragments, also identified three types of translation: grammatical, free (verundernd), and mythical. Grammatical translations require only minimal discursive abilities and have no artistic value. Free translation is understood as a true romantic translation. But the ultimate form of translation for Novalis is mythical translation that recreates not the work itself but its ideal. Novalis does not provide examples of mythical translations; its "helle Spuren," according to him, are found only in some critical
descriptions of works of art. The 19th-century romantic tradition that nurtured the Russian school of translation suggested the existence of an absolute, if unattainable, "ideal" translation.
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May 24, 1940 - January 28, 1996 May 24, 2006

Joseph Brodsky was born in 1940, in Leningrad, and began writing poetry when he was eighteen...

If you want to read more about the 1987 Litera
... See more

Joseph Brodsky was born in 1940, in Leningrad, and began writing poetry when he was eighteen...

If you want to read more about the 1987 Literature Nobel Prize: http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates/1987/brodsky-bio.html

Seven Strophes

I was but what you'd brush
with your palm, what your leaning
brow would hunch to in evening's
raven-black hush.

I was but what your gaze
in that dark could distinguish:
a dim shape to begin with,
later – features, a face.

It was you, on my right,
on my left, with your heated
sighs, who molded my helix,
whispering at my side.

It was you by that black
window's trembling tulle pattern
who laid in my raw cavern
a voice calling you back.

I was practically blind.
You, appearing, then hiding,
gave me my sight and heightened
it. Thus some leave behind

a trace. Thus they make worlds.
Thus, having done so, at random
wastefully they abandon
their work to its whirls.

Thus, prey to speeds
of light, heat, cold, or darkness,
a sphere in space without markers
spins and spins.
Collapse

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 09:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Robert A Heinlein Jul 6, 2006

Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7, 1907 – May 8, 1988) was one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard" science fiction. He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility that few have equaled, and also helped to raise the genre's standards of lite
... See more

Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7, 1907 – May 8, 1988) was one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard" science fiction. He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility that few have equaled, and also helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first writer to break into mainstream general magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post in the late 1940s with unvarnished science fiction. He was among the first authors of bestselling novel-length science fiction in the modern mass-market era. For many years Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke were known as the "Big Three" of science fiction.

[...]

The English language has absorbed several words from his fiction, including "grok," meaning "to understand something so thoroughly that it becomes part of the observer." During his lifetime, beginning with his very first works in the later 1930s, he was also a major influence on many other writers, who tried to emulate, with varying degrees of success, the apparently effortless skill with which he blended speculative concepts and fast-paced storytelling.

==================================

I confess I have only read one of his books (The cat who walks through walls). But that sole book was so extraordinary and delightful, that I consider myself a fan

Well, I also saw a movie made out of one of his books (Starship Troopers), if that counts...

[Edited at 2006-07-06 18:10]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Our friends' birthdays

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »