John Milton - in German
Thread poster: Shiroyukimihime
Shiroyukimihime
Shiroyukimihime
Local time: 11:42
Japanese to German
+ ...
Feb 28, 2006

While translating a Japanese text I stumbled across the Japanese translation of an English poem. Finding the english source was no problem but, alas, finding the certified German version is quite a bit of a problem. I hope someone can help me, I need a translation of a certified quote which I could use as a footnote. The poem is as follows, it should be among the "Poems" (1645), Number 19 or 16

On His Blindness (John Milton)

WHEN I consider how my light is spent<
... See more
While translating a Japanese text I stumbled across the Japanese translation of an English poem. Finding the english source was no problem but, alas, finding the certified German version is quite a bit of a problem. I hope someone can help me, I need a translation of a certified quote which I could use as a footnote. The poem is as follows, it should be among the "Poems" (1645), Number 19 or 16

On His Blindness (John Milton)

WHEN I consider how my light is spent
E're half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide,
Lodg'd with me useless, though my Soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present 5
My true account, least he returning chide,
Doth God exact day-labour, light deny'd,
I fondly ask; But patience to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts, who best 10
Bear his milde yoak, they serve him best, his State
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o're Land and Ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait.

Thank you very much in advance - I really appreciate any help I can get!
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 18:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Doch auch die dienen ihm, die nur stille stehn und warten. Feb 28, 2006

Hallo Shiroyuki,

I found only a fragment of a German translation of Milton's poem you are looking for:

http://www.schlaeglmusik.at/downloads/PREDIGTFuerST.pdf

It stands on page 3 like this: "Doch auch die dienen ihm, die nur stille stehn und warten."

Good luck!

Grüße aus Taiwan,
Wenjer

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I found a bit more Feb 28, 2006

Bedenk' ich, eh' noch halb verzehrt mein Leben,
Erlosch mein Licht in dieser dunklen Welt,
Wie nutzlos ein Talent zu teil mir fällt,
Nicht zum Vergraben mir von Gott gegeben,
Gilt doch dem Dienst des Schöpfers all mein Streben,
Damit die Rechenschaft ihm einst gefällt;

John Milton: Auf seine Blindheit, übersetzt von Immanuel Schmidt,
in: Poetische Werke, Leipzig 1909; S. 220
... See more
Bedenk' ich, eh' noch halb verzehrt mein Leben,
Erlosch mein Licht in dieser dunklen Welt,
Wie nutzlos ein Talent zu teil mir fällt,
Nicht zum Vergraben mir von Gott gegeben,
Gilt doch dem Dienst des Schöpfers all mein Streben,
Damit die Rechenschaft ihm einst gefällt;

John Milton: Auf seine Blindheit, übersetzt von Immanuel Schmidt,
in: Poetische Werke, Leipzig 1909; S. 220

at this link (oddly enough):
http://www.politikforen.de/archive/index.php/t-467

Maybe with this bit you can find the rest using a search engine and a couple of the lines in German?

Worth a try.

Good luck!
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Poetische Werke von Milton Feb 28, 2006

Also, Schneewittchen (Shiroyuki), es ist dort auch eine Literaturangabe in dem Link, den Woodstock uns zeigt: "John Milton: Auf seine Blindheit, übersetzt von Immanuel Schmidt, in: Poetische Werke, Leipzig 1909; S. 220".

Das heißt wohl, daß man Milton's "Poems" anfangs des 20. Jahrhunderts schon ins Deutsche übersetzt hatte. Ich wundere mich nur, ob man sie heutzutage in den Bibliotheken noch finden kann. Ich würde dir sehr dankbar sein, wenn du nach dem Fund die ganze Überset
... See more
Also, Schneewittchen (Shiroyuki), es ist dort auch eine Literaturangabe in dem Link, den Woodstock uns zeigt: "John Milton: Auf seine Blindheit, übersetzt von Immanuel Schmidt, in: Poetische Werke, Leipzig 1909; S. 220".

Das heißt wohl, daß man Milton's "Poems" anfangs des 20. Jahrhunderts schon ins Deutsche übersetzt hatte. Ich wundere mich nur, ob man sie heutzutage in den Bibliotheken noch finden kann. Ich würde dir sehr dankbar sein, wenn du nach dem Fund die ganze Übersetzung in diesem Foren postieren würdest. I like the poem somehow and it would be great pleasure for me to read it in German.
Collapse

ZaunkoeniG
ZaunkoeniG
English to German
Milton - deutsch von Notter Aug 19, 2006

Hallo allerseits:

Auf meiner Seite habe ich auch eine Übersetzung

http://www.sonett-central.de/notter/milton.htm

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:12
English to Hindi
+ ...
Note Aug 19, 2006

Hi friends and lovers of Literature,

I am your friendly Literature Forum Moderator and I don't know German but I hope that everything that is posted obviously follows the rules of the site. If using the English language is not a problem for You, my dear site users, please do use it.

I know three languages just as most of you know a lot many. I know English, Gujarati and Hindi too well. Suppose, I use Hindi or Gujarati--> they even have a different script, it would be s
... See more
Hi friends and lovers of Literature,

I am your friendly Literature Forum Moderator and I don't know German but I hope that everything that is posted obviously follows the rules of the site. If using the English language is not a problem for You, my dear site users, please do use it.

I know three languages just as most of you know a lot many. I know English, Gujarati and Hindi too well. Suppose, I use Hindi or Gujarati--> they even have a different script, it would be so tough for others to understand what was going on.

Its just that. Please don't take anything amiss and please do continue with all the lovely and enlightening literary discussions. But in English, if there is no major problem.

Thanks a lot.

Anyone interested in a lovely Indian short story in English translation? I can point you to an online link or I can send it over to you by airmail.

Roomy
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
A polite remark Aug 19, 2006

Hi Roomy,

Allow me make a polite remark. The initiator of this thread, Shiroyuki, was asking for a German translation of the specific poem written by Milton. I don't see any problem with answering her in German with some English explanations when possible.

Sure, Shiroyuki could and should have posted her query in German forum, but it concerns literature and it is all right to make her request in this forum, as I or some others would be of the opinion.

By th
... See more
Hi Roomy,

Allow me make a polite remark. The initiator of this thread, Shiroyuki, was asking for a German translation of the specific poem written by Milton. I don't see any problem with answering her in German with some English explanations when possible.

Sure, Shiroyuki could and should have posted her query in German forum, but it concerns literature and it is all right to make her request in this forum, as I or some others would be of the opinion.

By the way, thanks for the offering of lovely Indian short stories. It reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's "Without Benefit of Clergy" in his short story collection "Life's Handicap - Being Stories of Mine Own People." I guess there must be some people really interested in such stories.

Enjoy!

- Wenjer
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 19, 2006

ZaunkoeniG wrote:

Hallo allerseits:

Auf meiner Seite habe ich auch eine Übersetzung

http://www.sonett-central.de/notter/milton.htm

Hi ZaunkoeniG,

Thank you for the translation. I like it very much. Pretty well done.

Have a nice evening!

- Wenjer

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:12
English to Hindi
+ ...
I agree... Aug 19, 2006

Dear Wenjer

I agree with you. But the Moderator's role is a tricky one. One needs to read through postings for two reasons: [1] Read, to moderate and to see if postings are non-controversial and do not offend anyone; [2] Read, for the sake of literary love and literary knowledge.

As of today, there's one Moderator for the Literature Forum. Makes job difficult to read in German though I could go to an online translator and always check out. Or always ask a German knowing
... See more
Dear Wenjer

I agree with you. But the Moderator's role is a tricky one. One needs to read through postings for two reasons: [1] Read, to moderate and to see if postings are non-controversial and do not offend anyone; [2] Read, for the sake of literary love and literary knowledge.

As of today, there's one Moderator for the Literature Forum. Makes job difficult to read in German though I could go to an online translator and always check out. Or always ask a German knowing Moderator to chip in...

But my comment was made in perfectly good intent. Please do not take it otherwise as I do agree with what you said,

Roomy
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hard job Aug 19, 2006

Hi Roomy,

I know it's a hard job being a Moderator and all the reasons to notice people of the rules. That's why I made the polite remark.

We are translators and it happens that we read literature in different languages. It is also not easy to talk about literature in one language, say, English. As I recall, there was recently someone who posted a challenge, asking for translation of a specific poem by Rainer Maria Rilke. I would say, it wouldn't be possible to talk abo
... See more
Hi Roomy,

I know it's a hard job being a Moderator and all the reasons to notice people of the rules. That's why I made the polite remark.

We are translators and it happens that we read literature in different languages. It is also not easy to talk about literature in one language, say, English. As I recall, there was recently someone who posted a challenge, asking for translation of a specific poem by Rainer Maria Rilke. I would say, it wouldn't be possible to talk about Rilke's poems only in English. Especially when people want to compare translations, it happens that the passages must be compared in parallel. In fact, I appreciate ZaunkoeniG's posting very much for I was looking for that piece since a long while and there it is pointed out by ZaunkoeniG, quite nicely translated. That's some literary translation!

Have a nice evening!

- Wenjer
Collapse

ZaunkoeniG
ZaunkoeniG
English to German
Not only Milton Aug 20, 2006

I'm not a professional translator, but a sonnet-fan.

You will found many of german sonnets and translations (into german) on my page. Aktually I search english romantic sonnets for an anthologie. I collect new translation also on my "Sonett-Forum" at Sonett-Archiv.com

best regards: ZaunköniG

[Edited at 2006-08-20 14:17]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
How about Neruda? Aug 21, 2006

ZaunkoeniG wrote:

I'm not a professional translator, but a sonnet-fan.

You will found many of german sonnets and translations (into german) on my page. Aktually I search english romantic sonnets for an anthologie. I collect new translation also on my "Sonett-Forum" at Sonett-Archiv.com

best regards: ZaunköniG

Hi ZaunkoeniG,

Nice to meet non-translator here. I will take a closer look of your web pages.

For sonnets, maybe you can search in Google for English translations of Pablo Neruda's love songs. They are just fantastic.

Have a nice evening!

- Wenjer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

John Milton - in German

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »