World eBook Fair (Free Access to 1/3 million eBooks)
Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2006

In celebration of Project Gutenberg's 35th birthday, the site in the link below offers free access to the public to 330,000 books, from July 4th to August 4th.

http://www.worldebookfair.com/

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jul 13, 2006

Thanks Au for sharing this link.

See you in BA.

Elías

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:45
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 13, 2006

And that's it really. Thank you, Aurora!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:15
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Many thanks! Jul 14, 2006

A real treasure trove.

I particularly liked the mp3 section with audio files of some popular classics.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Wow! Jul 14, 2006

Thank you for sharing this link!

I have downloaded quite a few classics, especially those from my childhood (memories, memories!!)

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 08:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ohhhh... the geek in me rejoices :D Jul 14, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

In celebration of Project Gutenberg's 35th birthday, the site in the link below offers free access to the public to 330,000 books, from July 4th to August 4th.

http://www.worldebookfair.com/

Au, you're a genius!! Thanks a million!

I used to say e-books would never replace good, ole paper books, and I still don't like to read in front of the PC, but one would have to be crazy not to take advantage of a treasure trove like this one!

So, yes, the geek in me has died and gone to heaven ;P

Thank you, darling!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Books buah.... Jul 14, 2006

Listen, I am VERY busy now, but let me share here some very bad news: paper books are going to 'vanish' in 80 or 90 years.

This applies to those printed after the 50s. Books printed before that date (and even centuries ago) had been manufactured with different materials and different chemical processes. They will last...centuries. Most of my books ... will live a couple more years than I will. My grandchildren will not know my books.

I could not believe my eyes when my
... See more
Listen, I am VERY busy now, but let me share here some very bad news: paper books are going to 'vanish' in 80 or 90 years.

This applies to those printed after the 50s. Books printed before that date (and even centuries ago) had been manufactured with different materials and different chemical processes. They will last...centuries. Most of my books ... will live a couple more years than I will. My grandchildren will not know my books.

I could not believe my eyes when my daughter told me this (she studies Edición at UBA, a university career about BOOKS!), so I asked this same question to a famous lexicographer and he confirmed the bad news.

Of course, we literature lovers can read on screens, but there is NOTHING like the book I have on my night table... Nothing.

I will investigate a bit more and will share with you.

Glad you like this site, prozians!

Au
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
English to Spanish
Fantastic! Jul 14, 2006

Thanks a bunch for another one of your wonderful contributions. I forwarded it to all my friends and relatives, encouraging them to take advantage of this opportunity. I downloaded quite a few; not that I have the time or, just as María Teresa, that I particularly like to read from the computer, but it gives me joy that I have them and can access them any time.

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good and bad news Jul 14, 2006

Au, thanks for the link.

I have already downloaded some classics in the original version that I read in Spanish when I was a child

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Au

But I can't believe what you've just said!! Reading on the screen is not the same!! Let's hope someone comes up with some way of protecting paper.

Silvina

[Edited at 2006-07-14 21:38]

pzchvpr
pzchvpr  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
E-paper is coming Jul 15, 2006

I don't think that we will get stuck with monitors when paper books disappear. There have been many advances in ePaper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1530678.stm
en.
... See more
I don't think that we will get stuck with monitors when paper books disappear. There have been many advances in ePaper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1530678.stm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-paper
www.wired.com/news/business/0,69839-0.html
www.eink.com/technology/

While I love paper books, I am looking forward to a time when I don't have to haul 600+ titles around when I move. Plus, I would love to save some trees in the process...

I think the deciding factor will be the GUI. ePaper should retain some of the interface of paper books while at the same time providing advanced functions.
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
For all of you... Jul 24, 2006

who want to contribute to the **making** of e-books, here's a link: http://www.pgdp.net/c/ . There are books in quite a lot of languages to be read and corrected (well, the output from the scan, I mean).

As they put it themselves: "This site provides a web-based method of easing the proofreading work associated with the digitization of Public Domain books into Project Gutenberg e-books. By breaking t
... See more
who want to contribute to the **making** of e-books, here's a link: http://www.pgdp.net/c/ . There are books in quite a lot of languages to be read and corrected (well, the output from the scan, I mean).

As they put it themselves: "This site provides a web-based method of easing the proofreading work associated with the digitization of Public Domain books into Project Gutenberg e-books. By breaking the work into individual pages many proofreaders can be working on the same book at the same time. This significantly speeds up the proofreading/e-book creation process.(...)"

So, if you're looking for some "work" when you get tired of translating just browse this page and proofread a page or more!

Charlotte

PS Saving trees is a very good point!
Collapse

danfield
danfield
Local time: 02:45
English
Are You Blowing Cash on Over-Priced Ebooks? Jul 27, 2007

Have you purchased any high priced ebooks recently? In the last few years, ebook authors have been selling garbage ebooks for about a hundred dollars and they're riding the gravy train at your expense.

Most of these ebooks are pumped full of needless, worthless information just to increase their page count.

Recently, I purchased a much advertised AdSense ebook about how to make thousands of dollars every month from Google AdSense. After reading nearly 200 pages, all h
... See more
Have you purchased any high priced ebooks recently? In the last few years, ebook authors have been selling garbage ebooks for about a hundred dollars and they're riding the gravy train at your expense.

Most of these ebooks are pumped full of needless, worthless information just to increase their page count.

Recently, I purchased a much advertised AdSense ebook about how to make thousands of dollars every month from Google AdSense. After reading nearly 200 pages, all he said is to make the AdSense ads look like they're part of your website instead of looking like ads.

These types of ebooks are fluffed-up in order to justify the high price. If this ebook was cleaned of all the unrequired garbage, it would shrink to less than one tenth its current size, but that wouldn't sell.

A new wave of ebooks has recently emerged - short ebooks that have just what you need and nothing else just for filler. Straight and simple information, quickly explained so you can make use of it without wasting a lot of time sorting thru junk pages. Ebooks that are really worth the price. High value, yet cheap prices.

You want cheap? How does $7 sound to you?

You gotta see this
http://sevendollarsolution.com
Terrific Selection of $7 Ebooks..
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World eBook Fair (Free Access to 1/3 million eBooks)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »