Looking for literary translation work - where and how?
Thread poster: Emil Tubinshlak
Emil Tubinshlak
Emil Tubinshlak  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:30
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Russian/Hebrew into English translator. Even though I have had to do just about everything short of washing windows, my forte is translation of literature and poetry. I have tried to contact publishing houses, but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas, or experience, how to go about finding agencies that deal with literary translations, and actually getting their attention?

jmf (X)
jmf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
lit trans work Oct 3, 2002

You may want to consider contacting large art museums that have art exhibits (related to your target languages). I have translated articles and essays for museums that they used for exhibits and museum catalogs.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What if you pick an interesting book on your own? Oct 4, 2002

As a matter of fact, I only wrote a couple of emails to publishers and after a few months (when they had some really difficult book to translate) they remembered me and gave me the assignment (so I was lucky). But why don\'t you try to pick a book according to your taste / local knowledge etc. and translate one or two chapters to show your skills? Then, you\'ll have something to show them - at any rate, I\'ll cross my fingers for you.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-
... See more
As a matter of fact, I only wrote a couple of emails to publishers and after a few months (when they had some really difficult book to translate) they remembered me and gave me the assignment (so I was lucky). But why don\'t you try to pick a book according to your taste / local knowledge etc. and translate one or two chapters to show your skills? Then, you\'ll have something to show them - at any rate, I\'ll cross my fingers for you.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-04 13:48 ]
Collapse

Emil Tubinshlak
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do you find publishers? Oct 8, 2002

Eva, thanks for the idea. My question is: is there a good site that lists publishers for various countries (Canada in my case)?

Interpreter (X)
Interpreter (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Emil Oct 8, 2002

Try this. The catalog is called Writer\'s Market, it\'s $50 and what you can do is just go to Barnes & Noble, bring a notebook and write down the relevant information. Prepare to spend some time there, it\'s a few thousand pages, so you just have to randomly leaf through until you find a publisher that seems to fit your criteria. Alternatively, you can buy it, or I believe there is a version online, but it\'s probably $50 as well.

Best,

Hecuba

Emil Tubinshlak
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Oct 9, 2002

Thanks, Hecuba. I\'ll definitely give it a try. Have you had any luck this way?

Interpreter (X)
Interpreter (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
you must be kdding :) Oct 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-09 04:32, tubinshlak wrote:

Have you had any luck this way?

No, not really. But you definitely have a better chance with American publishers than I do with my one-way EN>RU pair.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try this Oct 11, 2002

Have a look at a previous posting in this forum:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=3519&forum=22&0

Good luck
[addsig]

Emil Tubinshlak
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 11, 2002

Thanks, Evert. I have found the site, and it definitely looking promising. I appreciate your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for literary translation work - where and how?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »