Help me to increase my level in translation !
Thread poster: frenchstuden (X)
frenchstuden (X)
frenchstuden (X)
France
Local time: 11:41
French to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2006

HI everybody. I'm a new memeber in this forum; I'm studying english in university and I would like to increase my level in translation class (from French to English and English to French).
Have you got any website to advise me about tarnslating (ressources of text with their commentary of translation; general info about translating devices...).

Thanks a lot;

[Edited at 2006-10-17 21:59]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
Some resources Oct 17, 2006

Here is a link to two courses you can follow right on the site. They are hard to digest and you may need to read them several times to get anywhere with them, but they will be of much help once you are done chewing them.

http://www.logos.it/pls/dictionary/linguistic_resources.corso_traduzione_en?lang=en

You also may want to look
... See more
Here is a link to two courses you can follow right on the site. They are hard to digest and you may need to read them several times to get anywhere with them, but they will be of much help once you are done chewing them.

http://www.logos.it/pls/dictionary/linguistic_resources.corso_traduzione_en?lang=en

You also may want to look at the following link where you can find many interesting and helpful articles:

http://www.translationdirectory.com/article_index.htm

Finally, also take a look at this site, focusing mainly on terminology search, something important that gets often overlooked. You get tips and tricks on how to search efficiently and find parallel texts (useful for analysing other peoples' translations to learn from):

http://www.multilingual.ch/

Tanya Harvey Ciampi is also a member here and you can sometimes stumble upon her postings

If you Google "translation articles", you will find lots of info and many articles contain links to other resources - they don't call it the web for nothing

All the best!

[Edited at 2006-10-17 22:52]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Outline of translation course Oct 17, 2006

frenchstudent wrote:

HI everybody. I'm a new memeber in this forum; I'm studying english in university and I would like to increase my level in translation class (from French to English and English to French).
Have you got any website to advise me about tarnslating (ressources of text with their commentary of translation; general info about translating devices...).

Thanks a lot;

[Edited at 2006-10-17 21:59]

You amy also want to check the outline of the translation course I'm posting on my blog (the outline is from a course I taught at Denver University):

Foundations of Translation - Course description
Lesson 1 - Differences between translation and interpreting
Lesson 2 - Jobs for translators
Lesson 3 - Characteristics of a good translator

The outlines for lessons 4 and 5 are forthcoming.

Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:41
Danish to English
+ ...
Some ideas to improve translation skills Oct 17, 2006

Some ideas to improve your translation skills:

Go for at least one year of study in another country i.e. England/Australia/USA/NZ/Canada

Translate items for a local community group or charity Church etc

Teach a beginner the language

Try to write poems or songs in the secondary language

Listen and learn some songs and sing them in the secondary language

Write your resume in the other language

I'm trying to
... See more
Some ideas to improve your translation skills:

Go for at least one year of study in another country i.e. England/Australia/USA/NZ/Canada

Translate items for a local community group or charity Church etc

Teach a beginner the language

Try to write poems or songs in the secondary language

Listen and learn some songs and sing them in the secondary language

Write your resume in the other language

I'm trying to suggest things that might acually be of use rather than just excercises.

Answer some Kudoz

Read about topics that interest you in other language

Hope it helps
Collapse

Magdalena Reyes
Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Christiane Nord Oct 18, 2006

Hi Frenchstudent,

I recommend you to read and study articles from Prof. Dr. Christiane Nord. I have recently taken a course with her and she is extremely good teacher and knows a lot of translation, translators, teching translation, etc.

Here is a page where you can find so
... See more
Hi Frenchstudent,

I recommend you to read and study articles from Prof. Dr. Christiane Nord. I have recently taken a course with her and she is extremely good teacher and knows a lot of translation, translators, teching translation, etc.

Here is a page where you can find some articles she has written:
http://www.benjamins.nl/cgi-bin/t_authorview.cgi?author=10206

Good luck!
Magdalena
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Find out what the lecturer likes Oct 18, 2006

frenchstudent wrote:
I'm studying English in university and I would like to increase my level in translation class.

The best way to increase your level in class, is to figure out what the lecturer likes, and to give him/her that. If the lecturer is a pedantist, do it that way. If the lecturer is a descriptionist, do it that way. Also, try to impress the lecturer by being critical about various things (but not mindlessly so) and having brief discussions with him/her directly after class about this and that.

[Edited at 2006-10-18 07:38]

frenchstuden (X)
frenchstuden (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Oct 18, 2006

Thanks a lot for all these information.
But in fact I'm searching litrary texts (french or english) with their translation and more important their translation's commentary (why this verbal form rather than an other, why this noun....).

Thanks,
Frenchstudent.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 05:41
Member (2003)
French to English
NYU offers courses online Oct 20, 2006

You could check to see when they may be offering a French to English and/or English to French literary translation course. Here is the website for the Translation Studies department, if you'd like to contact them:

http://scps.nyu.edu/departments/department.jsp?deptId=11

Bon courage!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help me to increase my level in translation !

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »