Thread poster: Cristina Pulido-Vielma
Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I prefer the version posted by Ruth Dec 27, 2006

It is almost what I would have done... I like the idea of 'they powder and perfume themselves,' which simplifies the action; I like the 'rise' because I think it is more poetic, but am OK with get up... and very much like the gradually go back,, etc.

Cortázar is one of the writers that has most influenced my own writing and reading over the years... his tales about Cronopios y Famas was something I almost memorized long ago... Rayuela still makes me cry... the Vuelta al día en o
... See more
It is almost what I would have done... I like the idea of 'they powder and perfume themselves,' which simplifies the action; I like the 'rise' because I think it is more poetic, but am OK with get up... and very much like the gradually go back,, etc.

Cortázar is one of the writers that has most influenced my own writing and reading over the years... his tales about Cronopios y Famas was something I almost memorized long ago... Rayuela still makes me cry... the Vuelta al día en ochenta mundos...

What a tragedy that he was lost at such a young age, at the height of his creative powers...
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 14:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Off-Topic: To Silvia Antonia Dec 27, 2006

Hi Silvia,

I was just writing a response to the thread you started when it was announced to be removed. Somehow, I need to tell you how I feel about the poem. Here it goes:

I like your translation. Neruda is one of my favorites. Though I usually read his love poems, I like this one of his as well. But it is a bit too shocking for me. Me duele.

"Padre, perdónalos, porque no saben que hacen." (Lucas 23:34)

During the times of Old Testament, peop
... See more
Hi Silvia,

I was just writing a response to the thread you started when it was announced to be removed. Somehow, I need to tell you how I feel about the poem. Here it goes:

I like your translation. Neruda is one of my favorites. Though I usually read his love poems, I like this one of his as well. But it is a bit too shocking for me. Me duele.

During the times of Old Testament, people asked teeth for teeth and eye for eye. After Jesus, we seek pardon.

However, I sincerely hope that everybody will soon be home and that there will be no torture anywhere again.

- Wenjer

[Edited at 2006-12-27 10:26]
Collapse

Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias, Wenjer Jan 24, 2007

I am sorry that I only saw your note tonight... my computer crashed and I am moving two hours away and I am very involved with peace activities; just returned from a granny peace brigade trip to Washington and am leaving again this Saturday for three days...

A mí también me duele, and yet, we have authorized torture in the US with the Military Crimes Act... so I think that unless we all write and scream from the top of our lungs, it will all continue...

It is all shoc
... See more
I am sorry that I only saw your note tonight... my computer crashed and I am moving two hours away and I am very involved with peace activities; just returned from a granny peace brigade trip to Washington and am leaving again this Saturday for three days...

A mí también me duele, and yet, we have authorized torture in the US with the Military Crimes Act... so I think that unless we all write and scream from the top of our lungs, it will all continue...

It is all shocking, it all hurts...

Muchas gracias y un abrazo.

Silvia

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Hi Silvia,

During the times of Old Testament, people asked teeth for teeth and eye for eye. After Jesus, we seek pardon.

However, I sincerely hope that everybody will soon be home and that there will be no torture anywhere again.

- Wenjer

[Edited at:26]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Julio Cortázar

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »