Thread poster: Cristina Pulido-Vielma
Cristina Pulido-Vielma
Cristina Pulido-Vielma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

To those who do this professionaly (I am only a beginner) Would this be a proper translation of the poem Amor77?

Y después de hacer todo lo que hacen se levantan, se bañan, se entalcan, se perfuman, se visten, y así progresivamente van volviendo a ser lo que no son.

... See more
To those who do this professionaly (I am only a beginner) Would this be a proper translation of the poem Amor77?

Y después de hacer todo lo que hacen se levantan, se bañan, se entalcan, se perfuman, se visten, y así progresivamente van volviendo a ser lo que no son.

Feel free to reply to me if it's considered "off-topic".

Chuss
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:51
English to Hindi
+ ...
Translating Cortazar Dec 14, 2006

I'm not a Cortazar expert...though I have read him and he's a great writer. I am sure our colleagues would tell you what they think but I would like to state here, that unless, you make a patently wrong translation, there isn't much that could be wrong.

Roomy

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not too bad at all Dec 14, 2006

chuss wrote:

¡Hóla, chuss!

1. "después de hacer todo lo que hacen " could be "after doing all what they do."

2. "así progresivamente van volviendo a ser lo que no son" could be "thus they gradually return to becoming what they are not."

Welcome and do stay. You'll find some more of those guys who are already what they aren't round here, at times.

Saludos,
Wenjer

[Edited at 2006-12-14 01:45]

Helen Filippou
Helen Filippou
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a change or two Dec 14, 2006

"Se levantan" means "they get out of bed". The rest is fine.

Suerte
Helen

Cristina Pulido-Vielma
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Helen, Wenjer Dec 14, 2006

for your contributions to my post.

Is there any other way of saying "they get out of bed"? It sounds different in Spanish. "Levantarse de la cama" as opposed to just "levantarse"...

Chuss

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
A matter of "gusto" Dec 14, 2006

Helen Filippou wrote:

Suerte
Helen

Hi Helen,

Yes, the translation is all right.

However, I wouldn't translate "se levantan" so blatantly into "they get out of bed." Levantarse isn't necessarily out of bed. It could be anything else and that's one of the tricks of literature and translation.

Anyway, I like this Amor77 and the translation of chuss does help understand its import.

- Wenjer

[Edited at 2006-12-14 03:11]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
se levantan Dec 14, 2006

chuss wrote:
Is there any other way of saying "they get out of bed"? It sounds different in Spanish. "Levantarse de la cama" as opposed to just "levantarse"...

They get up.

Maria

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
they rise ... Dec 14, 2006

Helen Filippou wrote:

Suerte
Helen

There was a tiny error (typo?) raise should "rise" --and after doing everything they do, they rise ...

I would prefer that to "get out of bed" because "they rise" poetically implies that they are getting up ...

Welcome to ProZ!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agrí Dec 14, 2006

Patricia Rosas wrote:

There was a tiny error (typo?) raise should "rise" --and after doing everything they do, they rise ...

I would prefer that to "get out of bed" because "they rise" poetically implies that they are getting up ...

Welcome to ProZ!

Right, to get up or to rise would be a proper translation.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:21
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
You could try this solution... Dec 14, 2006

chuss wrote:

for your contributions to my post.

Chuss

AND

Patricia Rosas wrote:

You could try
"they rise from their beds/sleep/rest"
to try and incorporate both ideas.

And I echo, welcome to ProZ, the friendliest, most useful and fun place for translators!!

Bill

PS. An afterthought: a few less pronouns, and a little more alliteration!

"And after doing all they do they rise from their beds, they bathe, powder and perfume their persons, they dress, and progressively return to being what they are not."

[Edited at 2006-12-14 10:34]

Helen Filippou
Helen Filippou
English to Spanish
+ ...
"They rise" Dec 14, 2006

They rise, sounds a little awkward to me in English. It seems to me, that the list suggests the daily activities one goes through after awakening. Maybe, "they get up" to suggest that they get up after a night of sleep.

Literary translations open up a whole world of nuances, don't they?

Suerte
Helen

Cristina Pulido-Vielma
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lovers Dec 14, 2006

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

And I echo, welcome to ProZ, the friendliest, most useful and fun place for translators!!

Bill

Thank you, Bill

PS. An afterthought: a few less pronouns, and a little more alliteration!

"And after doing all they do they rise from their beds, they bathe, powder and perfume their persons, they dress, and progressively return to being what they are not."

[Edited at 2006-12-14 10:34]

I am getting closer to my final version.

And I agree Helen, literature is about sharing a universe of perceptions.

The most interesting part of this interpretation of the poem is most of you think there is more than one bed.

Since Amor77 is a love poem my conclusion was always there was only one bed, "they" get up (from). "They" are lovers to me. Cortazar's is saying they are lying/living a lie.

Any ideas about that?

Chuss

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 09:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
My take Dec 16, 2006

And after doing whatever they do, they get up, bathe, powder and perfume themselves, get dressed, and thus gradually go back to being what they are not.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:21
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Another suggestion... Dec 18, 2006

chuss wrote:

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

The most interesting part of this interpretation of the poem is most of you think there is more than one bed.

Since Amor77 is a love poem my conclusion was always there was only one bed, "they" get up (from). "They" are lovers to me. Cortazar's is saying they are lying/living a lie.

Any ideas about that?

Chuss

What about singular "they rise from their bed" instead of "beds"? Or even, "they leave their bed"?

Bill

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good take Dec 18, 2006

Ruth Henderson wrote:

And after doing whatever they do, they get up, bathe, powder and perfume themselves, get dressed, and thus gradually go back to being what they are not.

I like this one. Not so much word by word, but keeps the essence in the whole.

My only doubt would be about the word "ser." Sometimes, it could be "become," instead of being. I guess, most people would take "be" for "ser," but would it make sense when we interpret it as "become" in this case?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Julio Cortázar

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »