Examples: French/English self translation
Thread poster: CSMR84
CSMR84
CSMR84
Local time: 09:11
French to English
Jan 29, 2007

I am working on a dissertation of the concept of translating oneself, translating one's own work, whether it be a work of fiction or autobiography, and am looking for examples of this phenomena withing French-English.

I would appreciate any sources apart from Beckett's translation of Godot, and Michael Sadler's 'Un anglais a Paris'.

I thought that Joanne Harris had translated her novel Chocolat into French herself, but cannot find any evidence of this version.
... See more
I am working on a dissertation of the concept of translating oneself, translating one's own work, whether it be a work of fiction or autobiography, and am looking for examples of this phenomena withing French-English.

I would appreciate any sources apart from Beckett's translation of Godot, and Michael Sadler's 'Un anglais a Paris'.

I thought that Joanne Harris had translated her novel Chocolat into French herself, but cannot find any evidence of this version.

Thank you for your help.
Collapse

PRen (X)
PRen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
French to English
+ ...
Nancy Huston Jan 29, 2007

She's translated several of her novels (and won pretty impressive prizes for both).

Paula

Rachel Gorney (X)
Rachel Gorney (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:11
French to English
Not entirely literary, but.... Feb 7, 2007

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as "self-translation" for you, but Raymonde Carroll wrote her wonderful book on French/American cultural differences in both French and English: "Cultural Misunderstandings" in English, "Evidences invisibles" in French.

In a similar vein, intercultural consultants Gilles Asselin and Ruth Mastron have written a slightly revised/adapted version of their book "Au Contraire" (in English) in French under the title "Francais-Americains".

... See more
I'm not sure whether this qualifies as "self-translation" for you, but Raymonde Carroll wrote her wonderful book on French/American cultural differences in both French and English: "Cultural Misunderstandings" in English, "Evidences invisibles" in French.

In a similar vein, intercultural consultants Gilles Asselin and Ruth Mastron have written a slightly revised/adapted version of their book "Au Contraire" (in English) in French under the title "Francais-Americains".

Also, you may want to do some research on author Jonathan Littell. He is American (I believe), but wrote his novel "Les Bienveillantes", which received the Prix Goncourt, in French. Maybe he intends on translating it into English.

Hope that helps !

-Rachel
Collapse

egmtrad
egmtrad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
French to English
Raymonde Carroll Apr 21, 2007

While I do agree that Raymonde Carroll's book is wonderful, she did not in fact self-translate. Carol Volk is the translator of this book. I was a student of Raymonde Carroll's (she supervised my senior honors thesis) and I also remember her saying that she preferred to leave the job to a professional translator since she is not a native speaker of English.

Just wanted to clarify this point!

Amphibalus (X)
Amphibalus (X)
Local time: 09:11
English
Hello: I am very interested in this area and may be about to write a paper on translating oneself. A May 3, 2007

CSMR84 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

Sud River
Sud River
Local time: 16:11
English to Chinese
I'm interested in self-translation May 9, 2007

Hi , I'm interested in self-translation too.

In my opinion, it is hard to know whether there is a self-translation or recreation in another language unless specified by the original author. When the author is a bilingual, even harder to say whether there is a translation. As a special variation of translation, the existence of self-translation expands (or blurs ?) our view of the nature of translation.

gregomck23
gregomck23
Canada
Local time: 04:11
French to English
+ ...
Julien Green? Oct 16, 2007

Did he self-translate?

Dmitrii
Dmitrii
English
I'm interested in self-translation Nov 14, 2007

Vladimir Nabokov translated MANY of his books from Russian to English and vice a versa. May be he has also some English/French or Russian/French translations.
Jorge Luis Borges was bilingua too. I can not say anything about translation but he surely wrote something in English. Even poems if I remember right.
There are a lot of examples of less fortunate self-translation. In 19-th century French was the second language of Russian aristocracy and many poets wrote and translated their w
... See more
Vladimir Nabokov translated MANY of his books from Russian to English and vice a versa. May be he has also some English/French or Russian/French translations.
Jorge Luis Borges was bilingua too. I can not say anything about translation but he surely wrote something in English. Even poems if I remember right.
There are a lot of examples of less fortunate self-translation. In 19-th century French was the second language of Russian aristocracy and many poets wrote and translated their works to French. Their translations are very well done but are lack of poetry entirely.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Examples: French/English self translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »