Off topic: renaissance French: Hari Bouriquet
Thread poster: David Solomons (X)
David Solomons (X)
David Solomons (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
German to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2007

French renaissance poetry is not my usual field of translation so I've only done a very tentative rendition of this curious satire Hari Bouriquet. Phrases such as "lo scafignolet" - rendered as "nicely turned out indeed" is based on much research but, in fact, rather few solid facts to go on!
"Hari Bouriquet" itself appears to mean no more than "hee-haw little donkey", but maybe "hari" has a more culturally significant meaning?
At present, the translation attempts to walk the tightro
... See more
French renaissance poetry is not my usual field of translation so I've only done a very tentative rendition of this curious satire Hari Bouriquet. Phrases such as "lo scafignolet" - rendered as "nicely turned out indeed" is based on much research but, in fact, rather few solid facts to go on!
"Hari Bouriquet" itself appears to mean no more than "hee-haw little donkey", but maybe "hari" has a more culturally significant meaning?
At present, the translation attempts to walk the tightrope between accuracy and cultural information, but I am by no means satisfied with it.

BTW There are more verses to the actual satire, but Sermisy only set the chorus, so I just picked a few verses (from an online French library) to give context, improvising the extra music to fit with the original Sermisy setting.

If any renaissance-French translators out there would like to comment I would be most interested:
http://www.dwschorale.com/music-19.html

I should also be curious to discover how a good Catholic like Sermisy came to set a poem which is a satire against the Catholic mass! Misattribution perhaps?

(I'm about to go on holiday so I'll read your replies with interest on my return. many thanks)
Kind regards
David

[Edited at 2007-08-18 09:57]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

renaissance French: Hari Bouriquet

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »