Thread poster: Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2007

Article in the (UK) Guardian newspaper today:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2212304,00.html

about literary translation. Interesting food for thought for the weekend, although I personally feel the issue is far bigger and complex that can be grasped through a newspaper article (beyond just the English-langu
... See more
Article in the (UK) Guardian newspaper today:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2212304,00.html

about literary translation. Interesting food for thought for the weekend, although I personally feel the issue is far bigger and complex that can be grasped through a newspaper article (beyond just the English-language literary level)...although, at least they notice that translators do actually exist

A good weekend to all, Aisha
Collapse

Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:02
Hungarian to English
+ ...
hear hear! Nov 16, 2007

Aisha Maniar wrote:

I personally feel the issue is far bigger and complex that can be grasped through a newspaper article (beyond just the English-language literary level)...

Thanks for this post Aisha. What a relief to know it's not just my personal impression (as a reader, rather than translator, of literature) that there are few translations available.

But it is after all a newspaper article, not an academic survey, so it's bound to simplify things. And a journalist is somewhat at the mercy of what he can get his interviewees to say.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "..(beyond just the English-language literary level)..." Could you explain?

Thanks again!

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:02
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for sharing

It is very informative about the translation industry and where it is at the present time.

Regards,

Nizam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Value of Literary Translation into English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »