Brahms text issues: German to English
Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
German to English
Mar 12, 2008

Hello,
I am a German to English translator, but I normally deal with legal and technical text. I also sing in a choir that is performing Ein Deutsches Requiem by Brahms. The conductor has asked me about a couple of issues with the text, but it involves old German text as it was composed in 1861, so I am hoping a literary translator may be able to help. The issues are:

1) Movement II: the phrase "Siehe, ein Ackermann wartet auf die koestliche Frucht der Erde und ist geduldig d
... See more
Hello,
I am a German to English translator, but I normally deal with legal and technical text. I also sing in a choir that is performing Ein Deutsches Requiem by Brahms. The conductor has asked me about a couple of issues with the text, but it involves old German text as it was composed in 1861, so I am hoping a literary translator may be able to help. The issues are:

1) Movement II: the phrase "Siehe, ein Ackermann wartet auf die koestliche Frucht der Erde und ist geduldig darueber, bis er empfahe den Morgenregen und Abendregen." The particular word in question is "empfahe." I am guessing this is some old form of "empfangen"? From what I have found it might have something to do with Luther's translation of the bible.

2) Movement VI: "Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt" The word in question is "hie." I can only find it with "hie und da" in my dictionaries, but I guess the meaning of "hier" still applies. Would it still be pronounced as written (Hie)?

I would appreciate any light someone could shed on this issue.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Bible texts Mar 12, 2008

Here is the source:
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Ein_deutsches_Requiem
Empfahe = empfange
hie = hier pronounced hee

Regards
Heinrich

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
nothing to add Mar 12, 2008

...to what Heinrich said, except to mention that "fahen" (fieh, gefahen) also existed by itself, and is the root of its surviving relative "fähig."

[Edited at 2008-03-12 16:29]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translation over here Mar 12, 2008

Also check out:

http://music.loyno.edu/montage/montage02-03/02-03pdfs/brahmsrequiem11.25.02.pdf

Regards,
Gerard

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:50
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Pronounciation Mar 12, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

hie = hier pronounced hee

Are you sure about the pronounciation? I think it would rather have too syllables (ok, one and a half) and sound something like ˈhiə (sorry, I'm not too familiar with the phonetic alphabet). But then again, I'm not sure either. I remember singing and hearing it this way in baroque choir music.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-03-12 20:05]

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the responses Mar 13, 2008

Thank you to everyone who responded. I had already consulted the Wikipedia reference, but the comments and other input were very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brahms text issues: German to English

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »