Review translation - import target text from pdf?
Thread poster: Froken Fraken
Froken Fraken
Froken Fraken
Sweden
Apr 3, 2020

Hi, I'm a student and a complete newbie.

I need to review a translation and all I have are the source and target pdf files. Is it possible to use memoQ to be able to see the source text and the translated text side by side, segment by segment?

Thank you!

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:50
Polish to English
+ ...
How I do that Apr 4, 2020

Hi,
As far as I know, any CAT software (MemoQ included) is of no use for such job. Your task is only to review and make necessary corrections in the target file, not to translate the source text again.

I understand that your client wants to receive a corrected PDF file - yes or no?

If yes, you need a software capable of editing PDF files like e.g. Adobe Acrobat or several others. For the beginning you can use its free-of-charge trial version (check the restricti
... See more
Hi,
As far as I know, any CAT software (MemoQ included) is of no use for such job. Your task is only to review and make necessary corrections in the target file, not to translate the source text again.

I understand that your client wants to receive a corrected PDF file - yes or no?

If yes, you need a software capable of editing PDF files like e.g. Adobe Acrobat or several others. For the beginning you can use its free-of-charge trial version (check the restrictions).

Now, open the source text in a simple PDF viewer (e.g. free Adobe Reader also known as Adobe Acrobat Reader, or several other programs). Use Adobe Acrobat to open the target file and edit the text. Put both programs side by side on your monitor display. Read the target and compare sentence by sentence with the source. Edit as necessary. As far as I remember, typing in Adobe Acrobat is slower than in MS Word or OO Writer (more conversion workload for the processor) but things might have changed since my last such job.

HTH
Collapse

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
German to French
https://www.memoq.com/tools/livedocs Apr 4, 2020

Once alignment is performed, you can review the target file.
Ask the client for idml-files if they made the layout with indesign. Works better.
Sorry for my broken English

Froken Fraken
Froken Fraken
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
Review translation - import target text from pdf? Apr 5, 2020

Andrzej Mierzejewski - Well, actually it's an assignment for uni, and I don't need to correct the target text, just analyse the translation. I just thought it would be easier if I could somehow separate the sentences and see them one by one, with source and target texts side by side, and I thought it might be possible to use memoQ for that, as it automatically devides a text into segments.

The tip from laurgi helped me with that.

Thank you, both of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Review translation - import target text from pdf?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »