What's new in the new version of Memsource Editor for Desktop?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 18, 2020

Today, I got this in the mail:

Did you know that you’re using an outdated version of the Memsource Editor for Desktop?

On January 1st 2021, Memsource will end support for your outdated version of the Editor as a part of the process of discontinuing support for the Legacy API.

To avoid any disruption to your work, please download the latest version of the Memsource Editor for Desktop.

We understand that some users may
... See more
Today, I got this in the mail:

Did you know that you’re using an outdated version of the Memsource Editor for Desktop?

On January 1st 2021, Memsource will end support for your outdated version of the Editor as a part of the process of discontinuing support for the Legacy API.

To avoid any disruption to your work, please download the latest version of the Memsource Editor for Desktop.

We understand that some users may be briefly inconvenienced by this change. In the long-run however, the wholesale transition to REST API will allow us to develop a better platform for all users.

So, does anyone know what is "new" in the new version?
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Only one reason Nov 18, 2020

Other than making it harder to use? Nothing. It's explicitly done to force changes down your throat by preventing you from rolling back to an older version.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:27
English to Russian
I am very impressed with the new version Nov 18, 2020

I've never seen how much one can uglify their UI over such a short time. I have to expand the right-hand pane over a half of my screen now to use it normally... Incredible!

... See more
I've never seen how much one can uglify their UI over such a short time. I have to expand the right-hand pane over a half of my screen now to use it normally... Incredible!

They could even untranslate some UI elements, which were translated before the update...

Rise in applause!

[Edited at 2020-11-18 22:45 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Nov 19, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
I've never seen how much one can uglify their UI over such a short time.

Although, the issues you mention appear to be with localization within the app's UI itself. They got a new translator to translate it and he thought that it best not to assume that CAT tool users would know what "CAT" means. This is something that might easily be fixed with a complaint, I believe.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:27
English to Russian
Tester cost-saving? Nov 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
They got a new translator to translate it and he thought that it best not to assume that CAT tool users would know what "CAT" means.

Right, but sholdn't they have tested it before releasing the new version? You don't work with Russian I guess, but even you, a non-speaker of Russian, could figure out the problem. Why couldn't they?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What's new in the new version of Memsource Editor for Desktop?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »