Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

I have been using Metatexis for a while now (my first CAT tool, I am a newbie) and I m very happy with it.

Recently a client asked to have the uncleaned files and TM for a translation. No problem, I thought. I had awful trouble! First of all, the unclean file was enourmous, I have to give up emailing it and ended up uploading it to yousendit (great service btw) so the client could fetch it himself. I realised that the file was so large bacuse of the TM - because when I wanted to ex
... See more
I have been using Metatexis for a while now (my first CAT tool, I am a newbie) and I m very happy with it.

Recently a client asked to have the uncleaned files and TM for a translation. No problem, I thought. I had awful trouble! First of all, the unclean file was enourmous, I have to give up emailing it and ended up uploading it to yousendit (great service btw) so the client could fetch it himself. I realised that the file was so large bacuse of the TM - because when I wanted to extract the TM, it turns out that I have been using the same TM right from the beginning! I thought I had created a new TM with every new translation, but no, it has been saving in one TM only. I enver managed to extract the TM, but it did seem that it came with the unclean file, so my client got my one large TM in the bargain

Anyone know why that is? I have been reading through the manual and I can't work out what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that I am still using the trial version (for some reason it's still valid and I have just been too lazy to buy it..).

So basically I am asking for help setting up separate TMs for each project and also I would like to extract individual TMs from the one TM I have been using so far.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Ivana Jun 9, 2008

In case the client wants an uncleaned file along with the TM, I usually do what follows:

1) Translate the document using an appropriate TM (some of my TMs are quite large, several hundreds MB); please note that the TM may grow enormously if you use saving format in RTF

2) When the document is ready, I go to menu Metatexis > Document options > Translation memories, click 'Remove' to disconnect the document from my TM, click 'Create' to create a new empty TM for sending
... See more
In case the client wants an uncleaned file along with the TM, I usually do what follows:

1) Translate the document using an appropriate TM (some of my TMs are quite large, several hundreds MB); please note that the TM may grow enormously if you use saving format in RTF

2) When the document is ready, I go to menu Metatexis > Document options > Translation memories, click 'Remove' to disconnect the document from my TM, click 'Create' to create a new empty TM for sending to the client, and click OK

Now your translated document is connected with an empty TM. To fill this TM, do the next step:

3) Go to menu Metatexis > Translation memory > save all translated segments in the main TM > OK

This way you receive a new TM which contains only the segments from the translated document.

HTH,
Natalia
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ever so much! Jun 10, 2008

I'll do that next time. Again, thanks a lot, your help is really appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with TM in Metatexis

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »