DR Maryam Taghavi
DR Maryam Taghavi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sep 16, 2007

Hello fellow translators,

I have found out that working with metatext cat tool is simpler for me comparing to working with trados.
I was just wondering if a)anyone feels the same and b) if this cat tool offers transferring already translated terminology into its TM.

I greatly appreciate your support.

Kind Regards

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-16 17:44]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Metatexis Sep 16, 2007

DR Maryam Taghavi wrote:
I have found out that working with metatext cat tool is simpler for me comparing to working with trados.

If you mean Metatexis, then I think the web site says it can import TMX files created by Wordfast and Trados (and possibly TMX files created by other CAT tools tool).

http://www.metatexis.com/

* Import filters for TMs and glossaries (TMX, Access, text files, TRADOS TMs, Wordfast TMs) = Yes
* Export filters for TMs and glossaries (TMX, Access, text files) = Yes
* Access to TRADOS Workbench = Yes

DR Maryam Taghavi
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Metatexis Sep 16, 2007

Hello.

Thank you for the hint. Actually, I meant the translations in word format (when no CAT tool has been used).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aligner Sep 16, 2007

DR Maryam Taghavi wrote:
Thank you for the hint. Actually, I meant the translations in word format (when no CAT tool has been used).

You need an aligner. Metatexis doesn't seem to have its own aligner, but since it can import TMX, you could use any aligner that can export to TMX.

PlusTools (from Wordfast) is one. Bitext2tmx is another. Bligner is also useful. Bitext2tmx and bligner both only work on plaintext files, but PlusTools runs in MS Word, but PlusTools first converts to Wordfast format and then you still have to convert that format into TMX.

DR Maryam Taghavi
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 16, 2007

Thank you sir! I try that.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Metatexis has its own alignment tool Sep 16, 2007

In case you have a source document and its translation, it is easy to create the alignment and then a TM.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
And yes, I am using Metatexis since the very beginning Sep 16, 2007

and I think it is a perfect tool, very user-friendly and easy to use. Moreover, it imports/exports Trados files and TMs, so it is not a problem if the client sends you (or asks you to deliver the files) in Trados format.

DR Maryam Taghavi
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what tools! Sep 16, 2007

Dear Natalia,
Thanks for your answer, but what tools does it have for importing translations? I have read the manual, but I did not find anything about it.
BTW, do you know how much it costs to buy a metatexis (I am using the the trial version now)?

Thanks

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Maryam Sep 16, 2007

As I have already said, to create a TM from existing translation, you must have the source file and the translation file. You should align them (i.e. to create pairs of source-translation segments). Look under Metatexis > Alignment menu.

Importing Trados files can be done through Metatexis > Import/Export menu.

All other information could be found at Metatexis website. You can also subscribe to the mailing list (the link also can be found at the website).

... See more
As I have already said, to create a TM from existing translation, you must have the source file and the translation file. You should align them (i.e. to create pairs of source-translation segments). Look under Metatexis > Alignment menu.

Importing Trados files can be done through Metatexis > Import/Export menu.

All other information could be found at Metatexis website. You can also subscribe to the mailing list (the link also can be found at the website).

[Edited at 2007-09-16 21:09]
Collapse

DR Maryam Taghavi
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 16, 2007

Hi Natalia,

Your advice is most appreciated.

Kind Regards

Maryam

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:54
Spanish
+ ...
Alignment Tool in the Pro Version Sep 16, 2007

I also agree with Natalie, Metatexis is much easier to use than Trados and perfectly compatible.

Metatexis has an Alignment tool in the Pro version.

Alignment
The Pro Version includes a powerful alignment tool which offers all you need to import a source text and its translation into a translation memory.

In MetaTexis there are two ways to align documents:

· Dialog mode: The alignment is made in a special dialog box.

· Document integration mode: The two documents to be aligned are presented side by side as normal Word documents.

Both modes are explained in more detail below.

More:

Managing Alignment Projects

Aligning Texts in the Dialog Box Mode

Aligning Texts in the Document Integration Mode

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metatexis

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »