Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:54
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same here Apr 2, 2016

I average about 3000 - 3,500 words a day.

A lot depends on how interesting or how difficult/easy the topic is. For billing purposes, I would also charge the time spent in pre-translation and post-translation activities, which would typically include house-keeping activities like to-fro conversations with the client, invoicing, follow-up on payment, TM management, and research work.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:24
English to German
+ ...
Rather less than that Apr 2, 2016

Is there any text that doesn't require (sometimes a lot of) research?

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:24
English to French
+ ...
See other discussion Apr 4, 2016

Hello

Two years ago somebody at proz.com asked how many words can you translate in a day. Here is the link to the discussion that followed. http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/281416-how_many_words_can_you_translate_in_8_hours-page4.html
In summary most people report translating
... See more
Hello

Two years ago somebody at proz.com asked how many words can you translate in a day. Here is the link to the discussion that followed. http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/281416-how_many_words_can_you_translate_in_8_hours-page4.html
In summary most people report translating about 2,000 words per day, but some languages are more concise than others (less words, or maybe a larger number of composite words counting for one word each, especially English and the Northern European languages).

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
250 Apr 4, 2016

It is a bit like asking how far you can drive in an hour. What car, which road, what is the traffic and the weather like?

I try to average 250, and never promise to do more than 10 000 'new words' in a week, around 12,000 with CAT repetitions.

I do in fact take on texts where I might only manage 100 words an hour in some sections - medical Latin and abbreviations take time to research and check. The source is sometimes a 'dead' PDF scan, so I have to set up a new docum
... See more
It is a bit like asking how far you can drive in an hour. What car, which road, what is the traffic and the weather like?

I try to average 250, and never promise to do more than 10 000 'new words' in a week, around 12,000 with CAT repetitions.

I do in fact take on texts where I might only manage 100 words an hour in some sections - medical Latin and abbreviations take time to research and check. The source is sometimes a 'dead' PDF scan, so I have to set up a new document and format it, which normally my CAT would do without any effort on my part.

On other occasions I have translated, spell-checked and delivered 250 words in half an hour for a thoroughly familiar client in the kinds of text I do for them as routine. I prefer not to do it that fast, but in a tight situation, I try.

While it is useful to have an idea of how many words you can translate in a given time, it is more relevant to look at each job separately.

Then you can answer clients' enquiries accordingly: OK, I can get that letter back to you within an hour, or no, that thesis will take me two days to proofread or a fortnight to translate from scratch...
Or no, sorry, I really can NOT press in another 180 words (plus setting up the CAT, checking, administration and a creative headline ) today, I am already tired and doing all I can. Maybe tomorrow...

Averages are useful for your own planning, but take care what you promise clients!

[Edited at 2016-04-04 08:59 GMT]
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:24
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How would you calculate your hourly productivity? Mar 29, 2020

Here is a scenario: You start out translating at 8 am, you have a coffee break every now and then, and you have a lunch break of half an hour. You stop working at 8 pm and found that you have translated 3200 words.

Would you use 12 or the sum of hours you are actually translating as the denominator (which can be anywhere between 8 and 10, I guess) when you calculate your hourly productivity?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words per hour?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »