Thread poster: Conor Jarrett
Conor Jarrett
Conor Jarrett
Ireland
Local time: 16:00
French to English
+ ...
May 15, 2019

I've been in touch with an agency about the possibility of working as an interpreter. They've offered me €20 per hour. As I'm still quite new to this sector, I wanted to ask, does this seem reasonable? I do French/Italian to English and I'm living near Dublin. Maybe it's just me, but the aforementioned rate seems lower than I had expected. What do others think about this? What is your idea of a decent rate?

mariealpilles
AMARILDA RUCI
Sonali Pal

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Rates May 15, 2019

I dont know the rates in Dublin, but I can not imagine, that they are si low. The interpreting rates in Germany through agencies are 650 to 700 EUR/day. No hourly rates. If you work for courts then 75 EUR/hour.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth
Elena Simonelli
Davide Leone
Ihab ELKHATIB
Victoria Zhukova
zuzana kmetova

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Pools May 15, 2019

Jobs & Directories on the top menu bar > Screened Professionals > Interpreters

Liviu-Lee Roth

Davide Leone
Davide Leone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reject the offer May 16, 2019

An offer of 20 Euros an hour for interpreting is ridiculous for any language pair, in whatever country you live in.
Negotiate starting from 50 Euros an hour minimum, provided that you are a good professional interpreter.
I hate agencies that bring down so much our industry.

Maja_K
AMARILDA RUCI
Sanjin Grandić
Wang Shiqi
Chrystele Lacroix
Victoria Zhukova

AMARILDA RUCI
AMARILDA RUCI  Identity Verified
Albania
Albanian to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
English- Albanian interpreting Feb 7, 2020

erika rubinstein wrote:

I dont know the rates in Dublin, but I can not imagine, that they are si low. The interpreting rates in Germany through agencies are 650 to 700 EUR/day. No hourly rates. If you work for courts then 75 EUR/hour.

That sounds marvellous. In Albania you usually get 30 Euros/ hour from the Ministry of Justice as a sworn translator and 300 to 400 euros per full day interpreting from NGOs

zuzana kmetova

AMARILDA RUCI
AMARILDA RUCI  Identity Verified
Albania
Albanian to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Interpreting for not less than 50 euros per hour Feb 7, 2020

Davide Leone wrote:

An offer of 20 Euros an hour for interpreting is ridiculous for any language pair, in whatever country you live in.
Negotiate starting from 50 Euros an hour minimum, provided that you are a good professional interpreter.
I hate agencies that bring down so much our industry.

Yes, I totally agree with you David Leone. 20 euros per hour is not a rate that compensate your interpreting service and investment. I would not lower my rate to less than 50 Euros an hour.

Davide Leone
Sanjin Grandić
Victoria Zhukova

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting Rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »