Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Craziest excuse from a client for non-payment?
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Japanese to English
Christmas and NYE Jan 11, 2020

I’m still kind of new, but shouldn’t agencies be able to prepare ahead of time for the holidays? They happen the same every year, for pete’s sake. And it’s not like the employees are withdrawing from the company’s funds in order to buy presents, so why aren’t you paying me on time in January?

Kay Denney
Laura Kingdon

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:13
French to English
. Jan 11, 2020

Matthias Hirsh wrote:

I’m still kind of new, but shouldn’t agencies be able to prepare ahead of time for the holidays? They happen the same every year, for pete’s sake. And it’s not like the employees are withdrawing from the company’s funds in order to buy presents, so why aren’t you paying me on time in January?

You're quite right. There may be cash-flow problems in that the agency may have to pay the translator before their client has paid. This is very typical of small firms.

[Edited at 2020-01-11 10:48 GMT]

Harija Riza Khamal
Harija Riza Khamal  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Tagalog
I think we should demand an upfront payment. Jan 12, 2020

Branka Ramadanovic wrote:

That we do not get paid so often. We must do something about it, don't you agree? Any ideas?

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Upfront payment Jan 14, 2020

"I think we should demand an upfront payment. "

That is an excellent idea, in theory.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Look up Mike Monteiro's approach Jan 21, 2020

I think this was quoted on a previous thread deep in the bowels of ProZ somewhere. Mr Monteiro advocates combating cynicism with cynicism on his "---- you, pay me" YouTube video. Like the last three words, the first word in the phrase is monosyllabic and ends in a K. It is not "Thank".

Jean Dimitriadis

Vittorio Preite
Vittorio Preite  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
English to Italian
+ ...
I've had it Jan 22, 2020

Someone tried it on me in the UK. A letter from a friend solicitor put the fear of god in him and got paid days later. It turned out that I wasn't his only victim. I stopped making translations altogether. An Italian client tried on the lame excuse that he did not like my translation into English. Told him that if he was that clever, he should have done it himself (only a few pages). Another came with the same excuse based on an atrocious Italian. I told him that he should worry about his Italia... See more
Someone tried it on me in the UK. A letter from a friend solicitor put the fear of god in him and got paid days later. It turned out that I wasn't his only victim. I stopped making translations altogether. An Italian client tried on the lame excuse that he did not like my translation into English. Told him that if he was that clever, he should have done it himself (only a few pages). Another came with the same excuse based on an atrocious Italian. I told him that he should worry about his Italian before complaining about my English and that my text was an improvement on his lack of lexicon and grammar. All of them paid except one. I get verbally vicious on non payers at times I have threatened them to go directly to the Client. One way or other I often get to know who the Client is. Whether I know them by their trade or by googling portions of text. An American delinquent sent me an urgent job that I divided with another translator. He disappeared in the blue yonder. It turned out that I wasn't his only victim. I stopped making translations altogether. Sod it!Collapse

Barbro Andersson
Barbro Andersson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Member (2019)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Having to do something about non paying clients Jan 22, 2020

I have also now been part of the scam of false checks (one was for $2600) and luckily they sent the check in advance and I had not delivered a product. The second one now I am not so fortunate. An Indian company (now blacklisted on Proz.com) owe me $450 for a job. They have promised me to send the money 4 times and each time the deadline passes and no money.

I seriously think we have to change our operating pattern as translators as there is a lot of scamming going on as I have
... See more
I have also now been part of the scam of false checks (one was for $2600) and luckily they sent the check in advance and I had not delivered a product. The second one now I am not so fortunate. An Indian company (now blacklisted on Proz.com) owe me $450 for a job. They have promised me to send the money 4 times and each time the deadline passes and no money.

I seriously think we have to change our operating pattern as translators as there is a lot of scamming going on as I have read through all your comments on this and see I am not the only one.

Has anyone tried to get money upfront? Like our friend who got $9300 in advance and he had not even started the job! Good job! But for the rest of us, it is very common that smaller firms or individuals are not paying. I have not experienced any bigger firms not paying yet, but there has to be a way that we can ask for either 30-40-50% upfront due to this fact especially when dealing with someone new unknown.

I am very frustrated as of course we have to make a living of this in most cases and I certainly do. Has anyone tried to get money upfront?

Best, Barbro
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Upfront payments / online piracy Jan 22, 2020

Barbro Andersson wrote:
Has anyone tried to get money upfront?

In my experience it only works with private individuals or micro businesses, who seem to expect it. For anyone else, you generally just lose the client if you insist.

On the other hand, I generally will only do business with clients with good payment reviews on one of the reporting resources such as the BlueBoard, with a few exceptions.

I once had a client who didn't pay but posted my translation on their website. I discovered that under some interpretations this can be considered online piracy, since the copyright is retained by the translator until payment. This could be considered fraudulent and I found that the local police department has an IT section dedicated to online piracy. I threatened to report it and got paid immediately.

Sylvia Hatzl

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:13
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
May give the wrong impression Jan 22, 2020

John Fossey wrote:

Barbro Andersson wrote:
Has anyone tried to get money upfront?

In my experience it only works with private individuals or micro businesses, who seem to expect it. For anyone else, you generally just lose the client if you insist.

I always ask private individuals for at least a percentage in advance, if not the full amount. As you say, they expect it. And they can be more difficult to sue, I believe, as in general they have far less to lose by getting a poor credit rating or being denounced online.

Unless it's a very big job, I never ask for an advance even from freelancers, let alone limited companies. As John says, they don't expect it. B2B transactions are traditionally done "on account". As advance payment is considered a consumer thing, you risk branding yourself as a consumer-minded person, I think. You know, someone who has an employee mindset and just happens to be doing work for several "bosses" at once - not a business person running an albeit tiny business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Craziest excuse from a client for non-payment?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »