Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I have worked for this company for several years, but then something strange happens.
Thread poster: Geoffrey Adams
Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
If you don't mind me asking Feb 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I'm so glad I don't use any CAT tools.

Tom, how do you avoid using cat tools? And pardon my ignorance if the answer to this is quite obvious to everyone but me.

Edit: What I mean to say is, I know of copywriting and transcreation work (in-house) done not using any CAT tools. Contacting agencies as a freelancer all I hear is CAT tools, especially for more technical translations.

I am only asking because I am no fan of all the discounts some agencies, if not most, seem to expect as a given.

If 20 fuzzy matches of about 95% require me to edit and change 20 longest molecular formulas I've ever seen, probably will ever see, am I really expected to give a 70% discount on that? (I need to make sure the molecular formula is correctly translated into the target language and not confused with approximately 15 similar chemical compounds with similar formulas.) Especially if I am asked to do it in a deadline so short most translators would reject in on principle.

Also, 85-94% matches are supposed to mean a 25% discount, whilst 95-99% matches are supposed to mean a 70% discount. Does this really make sense to everyone but me?

I'm sorry. I know I'm getting very much offtopic. I do apologise. I'm new here.

[Edited at 2020-02-21 20:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have worked for this company for several years, but then something strange happens.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »