Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agency artificially extending payment terms - what can I do?
Thread poster: Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 6, 2020

Thanks, Peter, for your lengthy and well-thought-out comment, and thanks to the others who have responded with your advice as well. It's been very helpful to hear others' suggestions. I've read about and dealt with agencies trying to impose lengthy terms from the beginning or lengthen payment terms later on, but I couldn't find any older posts dealing with this specific situation in which they aren't trying to unilaterally change the terms so much as reinterpret agreed-upon terms for their own b... See more
Thanks, Peter, for your lengthy and well-thought-out comment, and thanks to the others who have responded with your advice as well. It's been very helpful to hear others' suggestions. I've read about and dealt with agencies trying to impose lengthy terms from the beginning or lengthen payment terms later on, but I couldn't find any older posts dealing with this specific situation in which they aren't trying to unilaterally change the terms so much as reinterpret agreed-upon terms for their own benefit.

In this case, I do primarily KO-EN for this agency and am their first choice for a specific type of project because I can deliver high-quality work. However, they do have other translators who can also deliver very good quality, and so I think that while I may be their first choice, I am probably replaceable if I become too troublesome to work with.

On my end, I would say they represent a substantial enough percentage of my annual income that I'd like to keep working with them (and also, I genuinely enjoy the actual translation part of the job, and the PMs are quite pleasant to work with)... but not a high enough percentage that I can't afford to lose them if necessary. I also have a couple of promising but still unproven newer clients, so I won't be left totally in the lurch if this agency drops me. Of course, I can't speak for the agency, but my guess would be that we're both in a fairly similar position in which we'd like the collaboration to continue but are willing to walk away if necessary.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency artificially extending payment terms - what can I do?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »