Ramesh Kulandaivel
Ramesh Kulandaivel
India
Local time: 09:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 4, 2020

I got an inquiry about translating a big volume of book. I have no idea about quoting for such big volume. The maximum count I have quoted is 25K words, which normally comes into the standard pricing category. Most big jobs are split into bits and pieces so agencies make us work for a standard or below standard price. But the project which I received the quote has to be done by a single person, so I have no clue about it. I would appreciate if some could help me out in this.

Thank
... See more
I got an inquiry about translating a big volume of book. I have no idea about quoting for such big volume. The maximum count I have quoted is 25K words, which normally comes into the standard pricing category. Most big jobs are split into bits and pieces so agencies make us work for a standard or below standard price. But the project which I received the quote has to be done by a single person, so I have no clue about it. I would appreciate if some could help me out in this.

Thank you.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 05:42
English to German
In memoriam
Quote your usual rate Oct 4, 2020

Why don't you simply go with your usual rate? There is no reason to quote lower, since you cannot benefit from any scaling effects when translating, maybe apart from becoming more and more familiar with the overall project over time, but that is no big time saver. When you accept huge volumes you need to make sure that you have at least the same income level in the months you will be busy with this project.

You should pay more attention to the other conditions of this job: will you
... See more
Why don't you simply go with your usual rate? There is no reason to quote lower, since you cannot benefit from any scaling effects when translating, maybe apart from becoming more and more familiar with the overall project over time, but that is no big time saver. When you accept huge volumes you need to make sure that you have at least the same income level in the months you will be busy with this project.

You should pay more attention to the other conditions of this job: will you receive an advance and/or instalment payments during the months of this project, so that you can cover your expenses and won't be stuffed if the other side suddenly reconsiders, drops the project or disappears entirely? How about the deadline and the delivery schedule, will you be able to do other work in this time in order to keep your other clients happy?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Morano El-Kholy
Agnes Fatrai
Joanna Posylek
Christopher Schröder

Hedia Mannai
Hedia Mannai  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
English to French
+ ...
How to quote for a big volume a job Oct 7, 2020

It doesn’t matter what trade you’re in, how to quote for a job is a fundamental part of running your business. Whether it’s how to price a painting job, or the basics of how to write a quote for a job, potential customers these days are time-poor and the market is demand-driven. They want to know right away how much their dream extension or emergency plumbing work is going to cost.
Ideally, you’ll be able to make an inquiry and then price a job within a day or two, and if it’s a
... See more
It doesn’t matter what trade you’re in, how to quote for a job is a fundamental part of running your business. Whether it’s how to price a painting job, or the basics of how to write a quote for a job, potential customers these days are time-poor and the market is demand-driven. They want to know right away how much their dream extension or emergency plumbing work is going to cost.
Ideally, you’ll be able to make an inquiry and then price a job within a day or two, and if it’s a bigger job, try to visit the customer and discuss an initial project outline. They’ll still want an estimate and a follow-up quote, but running through a project in person establishes trust and allows you to see what shape the project will take and its potential risk factors.
Here are the basics you need to plan for when working out how to quote a price for a job.
Collapse

Louis Ladebauche

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Consider some kind of milestone system Jan 7, 2021

Very hard to tell if you should quote higher or lower than usual.

I DO hate discounts, but a stable work flow on the same topic is admittedly easier, faster, and more convenient than the hassle and wasted time of small freelance jobs....

OTOH, though, some places will have expectations and become suspicious if your quote is lower than what they wanted.

In either case, use some kind of milestone system (chapters, weekly, bi-weekly - something).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to quote for a big volume of job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »