Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:12
English to German
+ ...
Consult a tax advisor for a precise answer Jan 15, 2003

On 2003-01-15 10:22, JCD wrote:
[Content removed by staff]

Not that I'm aware of (and I have invoiced US clients from Germany).

That one is simple, even though I have no idea about Spanish taxation - sounds like tax evasion to me...

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
English to German
+ ...
It is definitely tax evasion... Jan 19, 2003

...and not a very intelligent idea to discuss this in a forum on the Internet.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-20 01:50]

Jorge Payan
Tom in London

Adrian Woods (X)
Adrian Woods (X)
Spanish to English
Tax Status - Billing U.S. Jan 29, 2003

No VAT, no withholding if you claim (and are eligible for) \"Non Resident Alien\" status.

Look up \"Non Resident Alien\" status on the US IRS site and that will give you an idea of where you stand with the US Inland Revenue.

The Spanish \"Hacienda\" website will tell you everything you to know about your relations with it: i.e. if it sees unexplaine
... See more

No VAT, no withholding if you claim (and are eligible for) \"Non Resident Alien\" status.

Look up \"Non Resident Alien\" status on the US IRS site and that will give you an idea of where you stand with the US Inland Revenue.

The Spanish \"Hacienda\" website will tell you everything you to know about your relations with it: i.e. if it sees unexplained monies flowing into your bank account from abroad it might be curious.

Its definition of tax residency status is that if you perform the work from your \"establecimiento\" in Spain it must be declared.

Adrian Woods
Collapse

Pamela Peterson
Pamela Peterson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Follow Up Question on VAT EU to USA Jan 29, 2020

Hello,
We are a USA based translation agency, and in 20 years working with translators all over the world, I've never had one ask me for our company tax ID number.

This is what she told us:

Due to VAT agreements between the US and the EU, I do not pay VAT, however, my accountant has to report all US companies I deal with to the tax authority, along with their tax numbers, to check certain tax-related matters. I am attaching a sample invoice to demonstrate what co
... See more
Hello,
We are a USA based translation agency, and in 20 years working with translators all over the world, I've never had one ask me for our company tax ID number.

This is what she told us:

Due to VAT agreements between the US and the EU, I do not pay VAT, however, my accountant has to report all US companies I deal with to the tax authority, along with their tax numbers, to check certain tax-related matters. I am attaching a sample invoice to demonstrate what company data I need to state on my invoices.

I don't want to give her our company tax ID number, and don't believe we have to, but I am now curious and wonder if this is a standard practice now for translators working in the EU with USA clients?

Any info would be appreciated!
Pamela
Collapse

Eoghan McMonagle

Eoghan McMonagle
Eoghan McMonagle  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tax ID definitely required in EU countries Apr 30, 2020

I am a lawyer and translator-interpreter in Spain and I would refuse (and have refused) to work with a US company that wouldn't hand over their Tax ID.
In Spain, we are required to hand over a list of all non-EU third parties that we have done business with at the end of every fiscal year, so if I didn't have this, I wouldn't be able to fulfill the requirements of the Spanish Tax authorities. This would mean that I would be required to pay VAT at 21% on the invoiced amount and, as no Tax I
... See more
I am a lawyer and translator-interpreter in Spain and I would refuse (and have refused) to work with a US company that wouldn't hand over their Tax ID.
In Spain, we are required to hand over a list of all non-EU third parties that we have done business with at the end of every fiscal year, so if I didn't have this, I wouldn't be able to fulfill the requirements of the Spanish Tax authorities. This would mean that I would be required to pay VAT at 21% on the invoiced amount and, as no Tax ID for the client has been provided, I wouldn't then be able to claim this back.
This is the same for all EU countries, the VAT rate of course depends on the EU country you have your tax address registered of course.

[Edited at 2020-04-30 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not Apr 30, 2020

JCD wrote:

they will find you and punish you.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
German to English
Why not give EIN number? Apr 30, 2020

Pamela Peterson wrote:

Hello,

I don't want to give her our company tax ID number, and don't believe we have to, but I am now curious and wonder if this is a standard practice now for translators working in the EU with USA clients?

Any info would be appreciated!
Pamela

Your company puts it EIN number on 1099 MISC forms to its US-based freelancers. Why can't you provide this to non-US freelancers if they ask for a tax number? Basically the freelancer potentially needs a number to satisfy EU tax authorities needing a number to fill in a box in their system. It's a procedure analogous to asking foreign-based freelancers to file a W8 with your agency. Ultimately it's meaningless, unless you are audited, which is an uncommon event.

John Fossey

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Exported service May 1, 2020

If you are registered for tax purposes in Spain and your client is a business in the US (B2B transaction) you're exporting your service out of the EEC and the invoice is just the amount of the service without any VAT or withholding tax. Basically if the job costs €100 that's what you put in the invoice nothing else, Invoice amount €100, to pay €100, however you want to put it. You can add "No sujeto IVA" if you want.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing US from Spain

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »