Thread poster: Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:00
German to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2020

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7263261/

The use of aspirated consonants during speech may increase the transmission of COVID-19

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Are you (or they) serious? Sep 21, 2020

The writer is so vague about the number of Japanese visitors to China in 2020 that one wonders whether they can even count: "one to three millions of Japanese who travelled to China in 2000". The blaming of Chinese shop assistants as responsible for infecting tourists seems very unfair, especially as the Chinese shop assistants would have been wearing masks if they were in an area where COVID-19 had been identified.

May I also point out that the preposition "on" is wrong, it is a "h
... See more
The writer is so vague about the number of Japanese visitors to China in 2020 that one wonders whether they can even count: "one to three millions of Japanese who travelled to China in 2000". The blaming of Chinese shop assistants as responsible for infecting tourists seems very unfair, especially as the Chinese shop assistants would have been wearing masks if they were in an area where COVID-19 had been identified.

May I also point out that the preposition "on" is wrong, it is a "hypothesis "about" a load of nonsense, not "on" a load of nonsense.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Obvious Sep 21, 2020

I agree with B.D. that the study is too vague to lead to any valid conclusion. But we don't need a study to prove the point. We all know that we produce saliva when we speak, particularly with aspirated consonants, and some people more than others. That is exactly why we should now wear a mask.

expressisverbis

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Hypothesis Sep 21, 2020

Speaking the word Hypothesis out loud might already increase the risk of transmission. Typing it might be safe, for now.

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aspirated consonants Sep 21, 2020

Do you know which language uses even fewer aspirated consonants than Japanese?

Chinese!

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought it slightly unusual Sep 21, 2020

to present it in this way, in terms of tourism and country of origin, but it´s still interesting.

expressisverbis

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Dangerous sounds Sep 21, 2020

As an Irish person who sounds the "h" in question words (when, where, why..), I must pose quite a threat to those around me.

I'll either have to go into deep isolation... or maybe just stop asking questions.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No shit, Sherlock Sep 21, 2020

I mean, ffs 🙄

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oddest research Sep 21, 2020

Phew, the things they conduct research into. And not in isolation either, judging by the list of related papers on the right.

[Edited at 2020-09-21 16:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-21 17:00 GMT]

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:00
French to Chinese
+ ...
Inspirations Sep 25, 2020

Time to learn sign languages, guys!
And I'm going to write an article to study the average mouth size of different ethnics.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There is something in it Sep 25, 2020

Finnish has a very dry way of speaking compared to German or English. When learning English one advice is speak in front of a candle. The flame should react to your pronunciation of p, t, k. Not in Finnish, there is no aspiration "h". Finland up till now has had comparatively few cases of covid-19. The number now is about 11/100 000.
In any case speaking spreads viruses. If you wear a mask and speak, the virus will spread. But for some unknown reason no authority anywhere tells people "shu
... See more
Finnish has a very dry way of speaking compared to German or English. When learning English one advice is speak in front of a candle. The flame should react to your pronunciation of p, t, k. Not in Finnish, there is no aspiration "h". Finland up till now has had comparatively few cases of covid-19. The number now is about 11/100 000.
In any case speaking spreads viruses. If you wear a mask and speak, the virus will spread. But for some unknown reason no authority anywhere tells people "shut up in public places". Selling masks is business.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 07:00
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Using an iron mask Sep 25, 2020

would do the trick, but able to prevent rust.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting hypothesis on language and COVID-19

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »