Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:44
Member (2015)
German to English
Apr 5, 2019

Are you fed up with click, click, clicking before you can open a new document in Word? Did you know that you can change the setting so that you bypass the template page and automatically open a new page every time? Well, I might be teaching my grandma to suck eggs here, but maybe one or two of you don’t already know this little tip.

1) Open a blank document in Word.
2) Go to the File tab and click the Options button.
3) Under General, scroll down the page until you se
... See more
Are you fed up with click, click, clicking before you can open a new document in Word? Did you know that you can change the setting so that you bypass the template page and automatically open a new page every time? Well, I might be teaching my grandma to suck eggs here, but maybe one or two of you don’t already know this little tip.

1) Open a blank document in Word.
2) Go to the File tab and click the Options button.
3) Under General, scroll down the page until you see Start Up Options.
4) Uncheck the Show Start Screen when this Application Starts box.
5) Click OK.

And you should be good to go. 😊
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
John Fossey
Mia Liou
Natasha Ziada (X)
Vesa Korhonen
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Stepan Konev

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Options Apr 5, 2019

My Options don't have that option. Maybe we have different versions of Word (I have MS Office 2010). On my computer i just click on Word and there is my blank page. If I click on File, I can even choose from a list and open a document I have worked on in the last several days.

[Edited at 2019-04-05 15:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-05 19:53 GMT]

Claudia Leão
Heinrich Pesch

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh my!! Apr 5, 2019

So simple!

Indeed, I could not stand it anymore. I am making the same change in all Office apps. Who came up with this atrocious idea of showing that screen?

THANK YOU!!!!

ahartje

Mia Liou
Mia Liou  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 20:44
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
It's helpful! Apr 8, 2019

You read my mind.
The tip is helpful. Thank you, Andrea.

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Helpful ! Apr 8, 2019

Thank you !

DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI
DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:14
English to Tamil
+ ...
It works for me. Apr 8, 2019

It works for me.

Thank you,

Regards,
Devanathan.

Lorenzo Iglesias
Lorenzo Iglesias
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to always start Office apps on a blank document when the "Show the start screen when the applica Aug 21, 2021

How to always start Office apps on a blank document when the "Show the start screen when the application start" is not available. The General section under Options is not available and substituted by "Popular". The "Start up Options" section is not available either. Please assist.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lorenz Aug 22, 2021

Lorenzo Iglesias wrote:
How to always start Office apps on a blank document when the "Show the start screen when the application start" is not available? The "General" section under "Options" is not available and substituted by "Popular". The "Start up Options" section is not available either.

Firstly, thanks for asking this question and allowing this thread to float to the top, because I have always wondered how to accomplish the opposite (how to always start with either a blank document or no document, without showing a start screen).

Secondly, I'm using the latest version of Word, and these options are still there (there is no "Popular", although there is a section called "Proofing", which looks similar). Which version of Word are you using?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:44
English to Russian
Thank you Andrea Garfield-Barkworth! Aug 22, 2021

The latest version of MS Word launches as if it was a spaceship. And thank Lorenzo for bringing up this post.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:44
English to Russian
MS Word 2010 Aug 22, 2021

Lorenzo Iglesias wrote:
How to always start Office apps on a blank document when the "Show the start screen when the application start" is not available.
Create a shortcut and type
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /q
in the 'Type the location of the item:' field.
Create-Shortcut-WordThen put a name for your shortcut. That's it.
To repeat this trick for Excel and PowerPoint, type this:

for Excel:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /e

for PowerPoint:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /s

[Edited at 2021-08-22 18:00 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Aug 22, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /q

Thanks. I also found this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/command-line-switches-for-microsoft-office-products-079164cd-4ef5-4178-b235-441737deb3a6
I now use "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" /n and it starts without opening a document, which is great. (I prefer this because my habit is to open files by dragging and dropping then onto the Word window, and you can't do that while a blank Word file is open in Word. I know I can also drag and drop files directly onto the Word shortcut, but sometimes my mouse hand just does what it wants.)

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to always start with a blank document in Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »