Blessing Uzuegbu  Identity Verified
Nigeria
Local time: 20:14
Member (2018)
English to Igbo
+ ...
Oct 19, 2019

Hello,

I am having a hard time trying to spell check and input a diacritics on word file after translating in Trados 2014 CAT Tool. I was not able to do this and I have tried repeatedly, please can someone point me in the right direction on how I will enable spell check in Trados 2014 translated file Word file on Trados 2014 studio? I will appreciate any suggestion or recommendation. Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing from you all.

Kind regards
... See more
Hello,

I am having a hard time trying to spell check and input a diacritics on word file after translating in Trados 2014 CAT Tool. I was not able to do this and I have tried repeatedly, please can someone point me in the right direction on how I will enable spell check in Trados 2014 translated file Word file on Trados 2014 studio? I will appreciate any suggestion or recommendation. Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing from you all.

Kind regards
Blessing
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Blessing Oct 19, 2019

Blessing Uzuegbu wrote:
I am having a hard time trying to spell check and input a diacritics on a Word file after translating in Trados 2014.

Do I understand correctly that you're trying to perform spell-checking inside Trados, and that you are having trouble with diacritics when typing inside Trados (i.e. your question relates to Trados, not Word)?

In which language are you trying to type, and in which language are you trying to get spell-checking to work?

Are you able to perform spell-checking in Word?
Where did you get your Word spell-checker (e.g. does it have a name or who is the publisher)?
Which version of Word do you have?

How do you normally achieve the diacritics when typing in e.g. Word, Notepad or here on the ProZ.com forum?

[Edited at 2019-10-19 08:44 GMT]

Blessing Uzuegbu
Blessing Uzuegbu  Identity Verified
Nigeria
Member (2018)
English to Igbo
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spell check on word file not Trados Oct 19, 2019

Hello Samuel,

Thank you for responding, I am sorry if I confuse you with my question, here it goes, I have finished my translation on Trados 2014, after downloading the file on Ms Word, I find it difficult to spell check the Word file , it is not working or enabled. My language is English to Igbo and Igbo to English. The spell check will be done on Ms Word, I use 2010 version of Ms Word. I will appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Blessing Oct 20, 2019

Blessing Uzuegbu wrote:
I have finished my translation on Trados 2014, after downloading the file on Ms Word, I find it difficult to spell check the Word file, it is not working or enabled. My language is English to Igbo and Igbo to English. The spell check will be done on Ms Word, I use 2010 version of Ms Word.

Are you usually able to do spell-checking in Word files?

If Trados creates a Word file for which spell-checking is disabled in Word, then it could be that you're using the wrong language code in Trados. Either way, you should be able to enable spell-checking in Word regardless. The best way to do this, is by doing a wildcard find/replace that replaces the language of each character with the language that you want to spell-check in.

In Word, when the file is open, press Ctrl+H to get the Find/Replace dialog. Then click the "More" button so that you can see a checkbox called "Use Wildcards". Select "Use Wildcards". Then click inside the "Find what" field and type only a question mark. Then click inside the "Replace with" field (do not forget this step!), and then click Format > Language. Select "Igbo" from the list, and make sure "Do not check spelling and grammar" is NOT selected. Click OK, and you should have something similar to this:

Then press Replace All.

There is an easy way to check if the text's language is set to Igbo or not. Simply close the file and reopen it, and then click on any text, and then the word "Igbo" should appear in the status bar:

It's also easy to see if you truly have a spell-checker installed for a language. When you select the language, the languages for which you have a spell-checker installed, have "ABC" next to them. For example, here you can see that I have spell-checkers installed for Afrikaans and English, but not for German, Albanian, Alsatian, or Amharic:

It may be that even if the text is marked as Igbo, Word will still refuse to spell-check it, if Word is set to not check spelling. I'm not sure where to set that (in modern versions of Word), but I think it's File > Options > Proofing, and then click a button called Check Document or Recheck Document. In Word 2003, it's Tools > Options > Spelling and Grammar > Check Document.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Blessing Oct 20, 2019

Blessing Uzuegbu wrote:
I am having a hard time ... input a diacritics on word file.

Which operating system do you use?

Are you usually able to input diacritics? How do you usually input diacritics?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to spell check in MS Word 2010

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »