LibreOffice: Exporting editable PDFs
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Nov 22, 2019

Hello,

Some of you may already know this, but this feature has recently come into my attention, and I thought it may be worth sharing:

---

LibreOffice (a free/libre open source and cross-platform office suite) offers the ability to export PDFs which embed the equivalent OpenDocument (ODF) file.

In practice, the exported file reads as a standard PDF that can be opened in any PDF reader.

The added benefit is that it can also be opene
... See more
Hello,

Some of you may already know this, but this feature has recently come into my attention, and I thought it may be worth sharing:

---

LibreOffice (a free/libre open source and cross-platform office suite) offers the ability to export PDFs which embed the equivalent OpenDocument (ODF) file.

In practice, the exported file reads as a standard PDF that can be opened in any PDF reader.

The added benefit is that it can also be opened and edited directly in LibreOffice as a word processing file, with no conversion and no format loss.

Further reading: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Writer/PDF_Hybrid#What_is_a_hybrid_PDF_file.3F

---

I can see how this feature could be useful in the context of receiving/preparing/editing/sharing source and target files…

Jean

[Edited at 2019-11-22 11:59 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes, and... Nov 22, 2019

.. after editing the PDF in LibreOffice, you can export it as a PDF that Acrobat Reader will open !!!

Wow!

[Edited at 2019-11-22 12:40 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Nov 22, 2019

And the then exported PDF is still editable, and so forth.

Oh, the possibilities

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And... Nov 22, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

And the then exported PDF is still editable, and so forth.

Oh, the possibilities

And you can do find/replace on the PDF ! So you can actually translate a PDF directly, without converting it to some other format !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LibreOffice: Exporting editable PDFs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »