Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In your opinion, which kind of sport is the best for a full time translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 7, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your opinion, which kind of sport is the best for a full time translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by inesfly. View the poll results »

Said AGANI

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Walking Dec 7, 2019

I’ve never been a sporty person, I can’t jog because of my bad knees but I go for ‘walkies’ with my dog every day, at least half an hour in the morning and in the evening, even more now that she’s getting old. I live 5 minutes away from the largest park in the center of Lisbon and I have several squares nearby, one of them with a beautiful vertical garden.

Vertical_garden

neilmac
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Noni Gilbert Riley
Augusto Rochadel
Said AGANI
Muriel Vasconcellos

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:46
French to English
. Dec 7, 2019

The one you love, surely?

For me that's cycling swimming and walking. Cycling and walking can be bundled in with errands and nights out - last night I cycled to a translators' do for example.

I love swimming and I love that the pool is practically empty when it's cold and wet like at the moment.

Translating is not a task that requires much in terms of physical effort so it's important to get exercise elsewhere, but it's the same for practically all offi
... See more
The one you love, surely?

For me that's cycling swimming and walking. Cycling and walking can be bundled in with errands and nights out - last night I cycled to a translators' do for example.

I love swimming and I love that the pool is practically empty when it's cold and wet like at the moment.

Translating is not a task that requires much in terms of physical effort so it's important to get exercise elsewhere, but it's the same for practically all office jobs these days, I don't see that translators require anything different?
Collapse

neilmac
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Liena Vijupe
Barbara Cerar
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Panna Kakuszi
Noni Gilbert Riley

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Swimming and walking Dec 7, 2019

That's what suits me and my physical condition the best

Said AGANI

Davide Leone
Davide Leone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Team sports Dec 7, 2019

I play team sports (beach volleyball and indoor soccer) to cope with the loneliness of the life of a freelance professional who works from home all the time and doesn't have much contact with the outside world.

Kaisa I
Julio Madrid

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Swimming Dec 7, 2019

A masseuse I visited years ago told me that aerobic exercise like swimming would be the best thing for my shoulder and back aches. Unfortunately, I can rarely find time, and haven't been in the sea since September last year (that was in the Maldives, and after that everything else seems a bit meh). However, since adopting a rescue dog earlier this year, I take for a cross-country walk for at least an hour every day, and really notice the benefits.

[Edited at 2019-12-07 09:43 GMT]

Petra Pavlíková
Petra Pavlíková  Identity Verified
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
Swimming, swimming, swimming <3 Dec 7, 2019

I used to have serious trouble with my spine due to everyday sitting. I started practise swimming, visited my doctor one year later and he said: "Wow, you must be swimming!"

Noni Gilbert Riley

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mine Dec 7, 2019

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your opinion, which kind of sport is the best for a full time translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by inesfly. View the poll results »

Wrestling with language.

[Edited at 2019-12-07 18:52 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Liviu-Lee Roth
expressisverbis

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other Dec 7, 2019

Any sport/exercise that you actually stick to. What type that is, highly depends of preferences and physical possibilities. I use the bike as means of transportation, and it is also my main method to get exercise. If the weather isn't very inviting (as is usually the case in this time of the year), I watch television while working out on the stationary bike in our living room.

Noni Gilbert Riley

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
French to English
Ideal vs. reality Dec 7, 2019

Team sports would be the logical choice for translators, to balance out their solitude, but, by the same token, it's often hard to commit to team schedules. So I find it simpler to head for the pool or running trail in the morning, just after bringing my son to school. Client emails are sparser and easily handled at that hour...

Noni Gilbert Riley

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Low activity Dec 8, 2019

Unlike interpreters and mentors, rather many translators are just doomed to sitting at the keyboard around the clock, so I consider such a sedentary lifestyle and unbalanced/monotonous diet as a bad habit like smoking or drinking. Why, many colleagues even don't take short breaks, nor air the room, let alone drinking water instead of coffee or tea.

As for me, I fond of sports and games: swimming, cycling, football, basketball, judo, and so on, that's why I exercise my joints and mak
... See more
Unlike interpreters and mentors, rather many translators are just doomed to sitting at the keyboard around the clock, so I consider such a sedentary lifestyle and unbalanced/monotonous diet as a bad habit like smoking or drinking. Why, many colleagues even don't take short breaks, nor air the room, let alone drinking water instead of coffee or tea.

As for me, I fond of sports and games: swimming, cycling, football, basketball, judo, and so on, that's why I exercise my joints and make small walks at every opportunity.

Certainly, playing logical games like chess also counts--as an exercise for warming up the brains)
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Insanity workouts Dec 8, 2019

I see Insanity workouts are the most appropriate ones for full-timers in order to release tension; though they are mad workouts.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Cycling Dec 8, 2019

Go to the fitness centre every morning for an hour and cycle 30 km every evening (ergometer in my office during the winter months). Managed to loose about 15 kg that way, now I am just staying healthy and fit.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Coffeee-cup lifting Dec 9, 2019

And that suffices.

Christine Andersen

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Tai Chi Dec 9, 2019

I don't know if Tai Chi qualifies as a sport, but you can do it any time when you feel like taking a (short) break of work. Does wonders for me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your opinion, which kind of sport is the best for a full time translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »