Poll: How busy are you this January, compared to last January?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 18, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How busy are you this January, compared to last January?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
So far, less busy Jan 18, 2020

Last January one of my clients was in crisis mode with the need to translate a series of decisions by the Brazilian Supreme Court.

shem ageta

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Jan 18, 2020

Although, to tell the truth, I don't really remember, so I assume it can't have been world shatteringly different. I'm usually quite happy to have a slowish January, and this year is no exception. There are so many year-end things to be done, such as tax returns and renewing local taxes and things like my PO Box, which all take time, that I'm not really bothered if I only have a minimal amount of work. I know from experience that things will get busier as the year progresses.

Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Busier Jan 18, 2020

Last January was the slowest month of the year. This January had a slow start but I haven't stopped since...

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Busy Jan 18, 2020

I took a few days off and only got back this week.
I thought things were going to be quiet, but a huge amount of work has arrived, even from a customer that hadn't sent me anything for over a year.
Another revision job was supposed to arrive on Friday, but still hasn't appeared, so that will have to be done in a hurry as soon as it comes in.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:22
French to English
Busier Jan 18, 2020

After a very quiet December, January has been very busy for me. I can't really remember what last January was like, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this busy.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 19, 2020

It's busier because I've started teaching at the translation school I graduated from on top of my usual workload. I haven't taught for over 25 years, and I've never taught translation, only English. And as a student I was dispensed from taking the course I'm teaching so it's not like I have a model to follow. I've found that I'm analysing all my work in terms of whether the source text is suitable for my students, so it's taking up considerable headspace. But it's great fun!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How busy are you this January, compared to last January?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »