Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you translated Covid-19 related material?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 6, 2020

But very little, a couple of hunded words at most. Just some tips for one client's employees who suddenly found themselves having to work from home. Things like "don't sit around in your pyjamas all day"...

JoseAlejandro
JoseAlejandro
United States
Local time: 13:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unappreciated public servants Apr 6, 2020

We are a group of staff court interpreters in a medium-sized county here in California.

When this crisis first broke out, we immediately went to our local Public Health Department to offer our translation/interpretation services. For free. Because we are public servants and felt compelled to provide this much-needed resource to the Spanish-speaking community. They seemed appreciative at first, but we were soon met with indifference, attitude and disdain.

Their “bil
... See more
We are a group of staff court interpreters in a medium-sized county here in California.

When this crisis first broke out, we immediately went to our local Public Health Department to offer our translation/interpretation services. For free. Because we are public servants and felt compelled to provide this much-needed resource to the Spanish-speaking community. They seemed appreciative at first, but we were soon met with indifference, attitude and disdain.

Their “bilingual” team of translators were immediately threatened by our presence. The county gave us some documents at first, but recently have only asked us to proofread their team’s work, which is amateurish at best. They don’t understand that proofreading an under-qualified translators work is like working from scratch again. It’s a waste of time and energy.

I’m sure this is case in the thousands of public agencies across the US: legions of “bilingual” personnel asked to translate materials and interpret at events when this is NOT what they are trained and hired for, they outnumber us. I believe this is a big reason why our profession gets little respect.

And what is consistently their argument: ‘we’re attempting to reach out to a lower-literacy or more plain-spoken community’. It’s a disingenuous argument, only a reflection of their own linguistic shortcomings which they choose to reflect onto the Spanish-speaking community. The stereotype is offensive: “Mexicans are too dumb to understand their own language”

To this day, the top of the COVID-19 website reads: “Público Información Portal” and no one seems to care.
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
Italian to English
+ ...
NO Apr 6, 2020

Only text for a museum website saying it is closed and today a company newsletter with special wishes for Easter in lockdown.

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
No Apr 6, 2020

Not yet but I am expecting some, sooner or later.

[Edited at 2020-04-06 20:53 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
Yes - letter to customers Apr 6, 2020

I have translated, Fr to En, a letter from a manufacturer of industrial equipment to its customers, stating its reaction to the Covid19 situation (e.g. offices not open to visitors); initial version, then 2 revised versions, about 2 weeks ago, about 280 words.

Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
German to English
+ ...
Yes, a large number Apr 7, 2020

Letters to customers, corporate information sheets, government fact sheets etc. 17 jobs at the last count, which helped in March as otherwise the month would have come in below my invoicing target.
But I do feel slightly uneasy making money due to a pandemic that has caused so much suffering and death.

priteshmakkwana
priteshmakkwana
India
Local time: 02:19
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Yes I did. English - Gujarati, English - Hindi, Hindi - English, Hindi - Gujarati Apr 7, 2020

I did 4 Documents from each of the different clients in below language pairs for COVID-19 Safety And Precautions Tips.

Even i had done Video Mesaage too for COVID-19 Saftey Tips in Gujarati Language.

English - Gujarati,
English - Hindi,
Hindi - English,
Hindi - Gujarati

youmingz87gm
youmingz87gm
Australia
I hope the coronaviruses outbreak could be controlled soon. Apr 8, 2020

I hope the coronaviruses outbreak could be controlled soon.
Since I stayed at home every day because of the virus, I read some English materials and learned some new words in the medical field, but I did not yet have a chance to practice in a real case.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you translated Covid-19 related material?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »