Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use Google Earth to see where your clients are based?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:23
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No May 5, 2020

Until Google shows at least some kind of concern for its users security I will not use any of its features.

ahartje

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 5, 2020

Only rarely, when I'm curious. I did this last year because it was direct client.

Togobickij Vera
Togobickij Vera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You gave me an idea. May 5, 2020

You gave me an idea.

Kaliamma Ponnan
Anna Jaffe

Anna Valieva
Anna Valieva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
A Good Hint for Me May 6, 2020

I never did, but I'm going to start. That's a hint ))

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends May 7, 2020

I check the Blue Board first, then their website. I only check GoogleEarth when I'm in doubt about it, and it's useless most of the time, because almost all clients are located in a residence or in a commercial building and all you see in Google Earth is the bulding's façade and nothing about the agency. In addition, the agencies we usually refuse to work for very commonly use an address in the UK or in the USA, when the real one is in China, India or an Arabic country. So checking Google Earth... See more
I check the Blue Board first, then their website. I only check GoogleEarth when I'm in doubt about it, and it's useless most of the time, because almost all clients are located in a residence or in a commercial building and all you see in Google Earth is the bulding's façade and nothing about the agency. In addition, the agencies we usually refuse to work for very commonly use an address in the UK or in the USA, when the real one is in China, India or an Arabic country. So checking Google Earth is a mere curiosity.

[Edited at 2020-05-07 06:59 GMT]
Collapse

Diego Cancio
Diego Cancio
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No. But... May 7, 2020

... I will use it from now on. That is something I've never thought about. I think it's useful when you are in doubt about the reliability of the company/client. Nice idea!

[Edited at 2020-05-07 04:02 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only once May 8, 2020

Most of my clients are international organizations and I'm already familiar with their headquarters. With the rest, I usually don't care as I have reason to believe they are reputable.

The one time I did do some geographic research was for a direct client, a researcher at the tip of Chile near the Antarctic Circle. I wanted to see what life was like down there.

I routinely do geographic research for places mentioned in my translations.

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I sometimes use utrace May 8, 2020

to find if their written location corresponds to their IP address.

Julie Barber
Julie Barber  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:23
French to English
No - check for hosted offices May 8, 2020

No, I look at if their physical address is in fact just a hosted office - where you can register your address with a company and have no actual physical presence there.

Lots of agencies do this - pretend to have an address in central London or Paris for example.

It doesn't make them a bad agency, but I don't like it when the pass it off as a proper office with staff and I don't know where they actually are.

You can check by seeing if lots of other compani
... See more
No, I look at if their physical address is in fact just a hosted office - where you can register your address with a company and have no actual physical presence there.

Lots of agencies do this - pretend to have an address in central London or Paris for example.

It doesn't make them a bad agency, but I don't like it when the pass it off as a proper office with staff and I don't know where they actually are.

You can check by seeing if lots of other companies are registered to the same address.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Google Earth to see where your clients are based?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »