Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: The Corona virus pandemic means fewer jobs for me: true or not?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very bad in Brazil May 26, 2020

Things looking very bad in Brazil. There is occasional work but everyone wants to spread payments, ask for discounts, or only pay in 60 days. In fact the crisis in the country has been going on for at least five years but has got much worse with covid.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Third time May 27, 2020

This is the third or fourth time this question is posted in the Quick Polls with different wording in less then three months.

Robin LEPLUMEY
Sonia Ordóñez
Josephine Cassar
Tom in London
Becca Resnik

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The Corona virus pandemic means fewer original polls May 27, 2020

It's all about creating that Groundhog day feeling. Again and again.

Hang on in there...

(The personal answer is no)

Robin LEPLUMEY
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Kevin Fulton
Josephine Cassar

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes May 27, 2020

90% of my income comes from interpretation jobs, but no conferences and business meetings were organized in this period and remote simultaneous interpretation doesn't seem to take off as expected.
I am translating, but income is very different!

Iwona Budzynska MCIL

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Local time: 17:37
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Mervyn May 27, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It might not make sense in the senselessness sense, Joshua, but it does make sense in the centslessness sense, in that they are really asking whether people make fewer cents and the profession is becoming both centsless and/or senseless. Does the centslessness make sense, or is it senseless to ask whether people are making sense or making cents?

I think this lockdown has gone to your head.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Joshua May 27, 2020

Yes, it might well have gone to my head. I might be out of my head, or even off my head, or it all might just be in my head, who knows, I just can't get a headstart on getting my head around it because there are so many heady thoughts heading through my head, but thanks for the heads-up anyway, and I'll try to head it off as best I can with my head held high.

[Edited at 2020-05-27 17:59 GMT]

Fausto Machado Tiemann

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Getting ahead of yourself May 27, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Yes, it might well have gone to my head. I might be out of my head, or even off my head, or it all might just be in my head, who knows, I just can't get a headstart on getting my head around it because there are so many heady thoughts heading through my head, but thanks for the heads-up anyway, and I'll try to head it off as best I can with my head held high.

Sometimes, as they say (and no doubt sing) in the Valleys, you can be right header

PS Normal volumes chez moi to date.

[Edited at 2020-05-27 19:20 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Nadia Silva Castro
Nadia Silva Castro
United States
English to German
+ ...
maybe May 27, 2020

Joshua Parker wrote:

How can this be partly true? Either you have fewer jobs or you don't!

maybe if you work with several clients and some sent less than usual??

Liena Vijupe

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Main cause: MT + post-edit May 28, 2020

For the past six months. Some prospects of large contracts, with none having materialised so far, and a dribble of small jobs. Plus, of course, a cortège of revisions with an assortment of unfeasible deadlines and late-delivered input translations. In this context, coronavirus has had little impact to date. I hope the clientele will eventually give more control to the translator in the use of MT upstream. Obviously, the full effects of the pandemic may have yet to be felt, so it is difficult to... See more
For the past six months. Some prospects of large contracts, with none having materialised so far, and a dribble of small jobs. Plus, of course, a cortège of revisions with an assortment of unfeasible deadlines and late-delivered input translations. In this context, coronavirus has had little impact to date. I hope the clientele will eventually give more control to the translator in the use of MT upstream. Obviously, the full effects of the pandemic may have yet to be felt, so it is difficult to judge.Collapse

Baran Keki

Igor Lee
Igor Lee  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:37
Member (2012)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interpreting jobs have sharply declined May 28, 2020

I used to focus on translation and interpreting. Becuase of the pandemic, there has been almost no interpreting jobs. So now I am focusing on translation only.

I also need to learn from the peers in Proz to teach foreign language, or do some other supplemntary business.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
still hanging on May 28, 2020

Luckily, in early March I got a huge job that filled my pocket in April. After that my main domestic customer (a translation agency) stopped almost any communication with me. There was like 80% drop in income from them. Fortunately, I got a flow of jobs from an international company I work with sometimes but at a price of 10% discount on standard rates. And, so it goes....Probably no holiday this year...

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:37
English to Turkish
Off me head May 28, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I'm reminded of this epic scene. No offense intended. I hope the link works...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvRCShtao0o

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The Corona virus pandemic means fewer jobs for me: true or not?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »