Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you felt the need to lower your rates in response to the economic crisis?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged Jun 2, 2020

"It’s a post-crisis pre-turning point, you know..." almost explains it all.

A possibly negative (for who?) connotation doesn’t prove it wrong. Also 'to judge' means to evaluate, assess, opinionate, come to the conclusion, and so on which is a must for a sensible businessperson.

Obviously, it’s very unlikely after the ‘pandemic’ such a middleman will consider paying usual rates, because (1) test ... See more
"It’s a post-crisis pre-turning point, you know..." almost explains it all.

A possibly negative (for who?) connotation doesn’t prove it wrong. Also 'to judge' means to evaluate, assess, opinionate, come to the conclusion, and so on which is a must for a sensible businessperson.

Obviously, it’s very unlikely after the ‘pandemic’ such a middleman will consider paying usual rates, because (1) test ani translators did agree to go down, (2) so there’s no need to pay them more for (3) they cannot substantiate or do anything else--including to defend their interests and rights.

At best, it shall be a lower midway compromise: (Was + Lowered) : 2
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:21
Dutch to English
Yes Jun 2, 2020

Yes, as I anticipated that things would slow down, I decided to temporarily reduce my rates for a number of agencies who hadn't contacted me in some time (because they said my rates were too high), thinking I could supplement my income with the most profitable jobs they had to offer. This hasn't actually led to an increase in work, but happily my regular agencies have kept me busy enough so far.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 4, 2020

I'm content with my work flow with my regular clients. If I wanted more work, I might have to consider lowering my rates because of market pressure, but not specifically because of the present economic crisis. The pressure to lower rates has been in place for years and keeps accelerating of its own momentum.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Absolute Jun 4, 2020

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

....The pressure to lower rates has been in place for years and keeps accelerating of its own momentum.

At what point will rates reach an absolute minimum? Are we nearly there? Then what happens?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:21
French to English
. Jun 5, 2020

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:

Yes, as I anticipated that things would slow down, I decided to temporarily reduce my rates for a number of agencies who hadn't contacted me in some time (because they said my rates were too high), thinking I could supplement my income with the most profitable jobs they had to offer. This hasn't actually led to an increase in work, but happily my regular agencies have kept me busy enough so far.

Thank you for this Oliver.

I have been under pressure to lower my rates, from the one agency that is always asking me to lower my rates (none of the others ever do, I'm lucky with that, although I suspect a couple of clients have gone elsewhere because I'm too expensive). I said no, and they placed the order anyway.
A pandemic shouldn't be a time to start paying anybody less. Just like it shouldn't be a time to cash in on the fact that everybody suddenly wants masks.

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you felt the need to lower your rates in response to the economic crisis?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »