Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has the pandemic changed the way you plan to do business in the future?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as requested by poster
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Jun 17, 2020

question "Has the pandemic changed the way you plan to do business in the future?"

Yes. I'm looking pro-actively for the kind of clients I want, rather than waiting for them to look for me. This is already happening. So it isn't a matter of what I'm planning to do in the future; I'm doing it now.

[Edited at 2020-06-17 09:42 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not at all Jun 18, 2020

And I don't think this applies to us.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
37° Centigrades Jun 18, 2020

While I don't care about nicely redefined and reinterpreted six-point/prognosis 'pandemic' to commercially fit multi-billion vax wholesales in 2009, how come that H1N1, "corona", and others are now 'pandemic', whereas according the previous definition of 2005--they are but outbreaks?

Nevermind, yet the sudden lockdown is a very political decision globally affecting survived businesses. As many others, I distinguish the two different events.
For instance: a child wants to t
... See more
While I don't care about nicely redefined and reinterpreted six-point/prognosis 'pandemic' to commercially fit multi-billion vax wholesales in 2009, how come that H1N1, "corona", and others are now 'pandemic', whereas according the previous definition of 2005--they are but outbreaks?

Nevermind, yet the sudden lockdown is a very political decision globally affecting survived businesses. As many others, I distinguish the two different events.
For instance: a child wants to take a toy, but a loud thunderclap scares her away, so she is afraid to touch that toy any soon. The point is there's no cause-effect for touching a toy has little to nothing to do with thunderclaps.

Moreover, after the WHO officials explained it to the public the healthy is not to wear a mask and that asymptomatic subjects pose almost* no threat to others, the government had decided to prolong such an interesting 'quarantine' (40-days) to the late June, tightening restrictions. Some five months (150 days) for now, but WHO who knows and what then...

@Mario, while you prefer working for intermediaries (agencies), they still serve the end clients from real businesses who are badly affected. So, how it might apply to a remote translator, I wonder: higher prices, less offers, more panic, lower rates, less good sense, more fakes, seasonal flu... beep-beep?

Take care
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:15
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Yes for me... Jun 19, 2020

... I want to fine-tune my haircutting skills so in case there will be another pandemic that requires home isolation, I can cut my hair in a better way to make myself presentable at the video-conferences (for interpreting as well as chats with clients and PMs) to come during lockdown.

DZiW (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has the pandemic changed the way you plan to do business in the future?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »