Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you currently using an outdated operating system on your work computer(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
German to English
+ ...
Good and bad releases of Windows Sep 22, 2020

Since several mentions of versions of Windows have been made here, I have a (slightly) interesting comment: I formed the impression, several years ago, that major releases of Microsoft Windows are alternately good (liked by the users) and bad (significant dislikes by users). Specifically:
Windows 98: good; Windows ME (Millennium Edition) not good; Windows XP good; Windows Vista not good; Windows 7 good; Windows 8 not good; Windows 10 good.
Of these, I have personally used 98, XP, 7,
... See more
Since several mentions of versions of Windows have been made here, I have a (slightly) interesting comment: I formed the impression, several years ago, that major releases of Microsoft Windows are alternately good (liked by the users) and bad (significant dislikes by users). Specifically:
Windows 98: good; Windows ME (Millennium Edition) not good; Windows XP good; Windows Vista not good; Windows 7 good; Windows 8 not good; Windows 10 good.
Of these, I have personally used 98, XP, 7, not the others. I currently use XP and 7.

If you have a "firewall" in operation (part of Windows or a separate one and/or in your broadband router) and a skeptical approach which enables you to recognise (& therefore avoid clicking or running) suspicious links or attachments in emails, i think you will be fairly safe from scams and software viruses. If I am suspicious of an email attachment, I sometimes download (but do not run/execute) it and then ask an anti-virus program (e.g. AVG) to examine it. An interesting result from this is that the antivirus program may not recognise the virus or malware in an attachment until you have the latest updated malware database one or two days later. (& after this I delete the downloaded attachment)
One type of email that I recognise immediately contains just my first name (or sometimes the word "Translator" which I have sometimes used in my email address) and a hyperlink, perhaps followed by "Thanks" and the supposed sender's name (somebody whom I know but the "Reply to" or "From" address is not correct); I never click on such a link.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Robert Rietvelt
María José Domínguez Camba

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but I'm not really happy Sep 23, 2020

I've had Windows 10 for the last 2 years. I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. It runs efficiently and has fewer technical issues, but I find that every MS "upgrade" gets more complicated and requires more keystrokes. I hate the learning curve of finding out where they've hidden the functions I rely on. I use all the latest MS versions, but I'm least fond of the latest version of Word. I much prefer Word 2007; I still have it installed and work with it unless I'm forced to use the up... See more
I've had Windows 10 for the last 2 years. I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. It runs efficiently and has fewer technical issues, but I find that every MS "upgrade" gets more complicated and requires more keystrokes. I hate the learning curve of finding out where they've hidden the functions I rely on. I use all the latest MS versions, but I'm least fond of the latest version of Word. I much prefer Word 2007; I still have it installed and work with it unless I'm forced to use the upgrade. Now they are finding all kinds of ways to charge you more money, like $15 a month if you want to read, create, or work in a PDF.

[Edited at 2020-09-23 05:56 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:44
Greek to English
Every other one Sep 23, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, but I used to be a late bloomer for most of my life. I did not switch to Windows 2000 until Windows XP was about a month away, and I did not switch to Windows XP for a number of years until I was forced to upgrade due to certain software no longer working on Windows XP. And I stayed with Windows 7 almost until the very end of its official support, when I got a computer whose hardware didn't work with Windows 7 anymore. The only instance where a newer version of the OS was better than the older one was Windows XP vs Windows 2000. In all other cases, the newer version was worse and more limited. Oh, and my main office suite is Office 2003 (but I do have Office 365 installed for when files don't work).

My work computer is still running Windows 7, though I'm awaiting delivery of a new one with Win 10, at which point I feel I should hold some kind of wake. I agree with Samuel that XP was the best - once Microsoft's customers had done the debugging.

As with Windows versions, so with Win 10 updates. I have a Win 10 computer I use as an "entertainment centre" (as they say nowadays) and each alternate update is a fix for the bugs introduced in the previous update. Worst are the "major" updates, which reset my network security settings so that the computer is no longer visible on my home network until I go in and put it right again.

The other annoying thing is how some Win 10 updates try to pressure me into using the MS Edge browser instead of my preferred Firefox.

Overriding users' preferences without asking should be a no-no, but Microsoft think they know better.

As for Office, again the best was 2000/2003 and since then it's been steadily downhill.

Muriel Vasconcellos

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Ubuntu 20.4 LTS Sep 23, 2020

Supported with regular updates... Not a rolling release as I used to have, but don't need bleeding edge. I'll just have the edge, thank you

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, I do Sep 23, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you currently using an outdated operating system on your work computer(s)?".

View the poll results »

I recently changed my iMac for a new one that comes with Catalina OSX. On my old iMac I kept Mojave which was wise because I use recording software that is not yet compatible with Catalina. So the old iMac is now my audio workstation.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BOth Sep 23, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you currently using an outdated operating system on your work computer(s)?".

View the poll results »

I recently changed my iMac for a new one that comes with Catalina OSX. On my old iMac I kept Mojave which was wise because I use recording software that is not yet compatible with Catalina. So the old iMac is now my audio workstation.

You can have both Catalina and Mojave on your new Mac if you partition the hard drive. You don't need two separate computers.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Both Sep 23, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll results »

You can have both Catalina and Mojave on your new Mac if you partition the hard drive. You don't need two separate computers.

I guess that's possible, but with a 1 TB SSD with only 200 GB left I prefer to use the other Mac as dedicated audio workstation.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you currently using an outdated operating system on your work computer(s)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »