Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Bajram Djambazi
Bajram Djambazi
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Albanian
+ ...
Desktop; plan for a laptop in the future, as well May 4, 2021

To see the way in which, other colleagues work, is fascinating.
I have a desktop for now, and plan to purchase at least one laptop in the future, as well.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:31
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Pen and paper? May 4, 2021

Computers lack the warmth of human approach, that's why working with pen and paper only is a great option. When translation is done, you just attach a message to a pigeon's toe and send it (the message, not the toe) to the client.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Muriel Vasconcellos

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How I started May 5, 2021

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

....working with pen and paper only is a great option....

That was how I started. A long time ago.

P.L.F. Persio
Nikolay Novitskiy

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both at the same time May 5, 2021

I have a desktop and two monitors at the office. But since March 16, 2020, I have been working remotely, using a laptop connected by VPN to the desktop (so I can continue to use MemoQ, which is on the desktop). I have a 23" monitor attached so I still have dual screens, mouse, and external keyboard. I recently purchased an ergonomic Perixxboard-512 which I can use with the laptop and also my personal Mac mini.

I mostly use the remote desktop, except for things that require micro
... See more
I have a desktop and two monitors at the office. But since March 16, 2020, I have been working remotely, using a laptop connected by VPN to the desktop (so I can continue to use MemoQ, which is on the desktop). I have a 23" monitor attached so I still have dual screens, mouse, and external keyboard. I recently purchased an ergonomic Perixxboard-512 which I can use with the laptop and also my personal Mac mini.

I mostly use the remote desktop, except for things that require microphone and camera, because the laptop is a bit slow. They have issued me a new laptop, but I haven´t had time to set it up yet. I should be able to have MemoQ on it, but they have to install it because of admin rights. Once everything is set up on the new laptop, I probably won't have to use the desktop remotely.
Collapse

Sara-Maude D-C (X)
Sara-Maude D-C (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:31
English to French
+ ...
One desktop, one monitor - for lack of better options May 5, 2021

As a student, I work entirely on a desktop with only one monitor.

Once I get more financially stable, I plan to buy another computer - perhaps a gamer laptop - strictly for entertainment. By dividing work space from fun space, I expect to get more work done more quickly, and less procrastination.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Desktop w mechanical keyboard May 5, 2021

Desktop exclusively. I love my desktop with a gigantic screen that displays up to three documents at a time. I'm a speed typist and invested in a mechanical keyboard. Anything less would slow me down.

While it would be pleasant to work on my laptop on my shaded patio, I go there to take a break from the screen.

Mario Freitas
Nikolay Novitskiy

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A desktop, of course May 6, 2021

Laptops are not suitable working devices, despite what the users believe. It only becomes suitable when you attach a separate keyboard, a separate video and a separate mouse, that is, when you transform it into a desktop. However, it costs almost twice as much as a desktop and it loses up to 50% of its speed when it heats. So, really, only those who never tried a desktop still work on a laptop.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Duplicate May 6, 2021

[duplicate]

[Edited at 2021-05-06 02:46 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Well… May 6, 2021

Mario Freitas wrote:

Laptops are not suitable working devices, despite what the users believe. It only becomes suitable when you attach a separate keyboard, a separate video and a separate mouse, that is, when you transform it into a desktop. However, it costs almost twice as much as a desktop and it loses up to 50% of its speed when it heats. So, really, only those who never tried a desktop still work on a laptop.

"Users" believe otherwise.

I love these absolutist aphorisms… Not.

Why should everyone fit in the same mold and subscribe to one and only worldview?

"Despite what users believe"? Ridiculous.

Laptop

[Edited at 2021-05-06 03:25 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:31
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 6, 2021

I use a laptop and an All-in-One.
An All-in-One computer combines the display and the computer or the "tower" into one single unit.
I like space and technology and I avoid having lots of wires and cables.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »