Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
1. CONtroversy or 2. conTROversy ?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
kenajyssac
kenajyssac
Local time: 18:35
controVERsy Jan 28, 2013

It has been very instructive reading the comments about 'controversy', particularly Alexander's. I find it interesting that Irish people pronounce it controVERsy, because I remember a few years ago, we were encouraged to pronounce it this like this in Australia. Must have been the Irish influence here. You would hear newsreaders trying to say it this way. It did not trip lightly off the tongue. Actually, my concern all along was whether the 'ver' was supposed to be stressed in this word or ... See more
It has been very instructive reading the comments about 'controversy', particularly Alexander's. I find it interesting that Irish people pronounce it controVERsy, because I remember a few years ago, we were encouraged to pronounce it this like this in Australia. Must have been the Irish influence here. You would hear newsreaders trying to say it this way. It did not trip lightly off the tongue. Actually, my concern all along was whether the 'ver' was supposed to be stressed in this word or not. Also, I am not at all convinced that there should ever be more than one accented syllable in a word.

[Edited at 2013-01-28 11:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-28 16:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-29 07:38 GMT]
Collapse

Tom I
Tom I
United Kingdom
Either Oct 19, 2018

Re a much earlier post: Sean Connery is Scottish (as I am). Like all my childhood companions and family, I grew up pronouncing either and neither as eether and neether (in the 50s-60s).

Hilary McGrath
Hilary McGrath  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:35
French to English
+ ...
controVERsy, no Oct 20, 2018

kenajyssac wrote:

It has been very instructive reading the comments about 'controversy', particularly Alexander's. I find it interesting that Irish people pronounce it controVERsy, because I remember a few years ago, we were encouraged to pronounce it this like this in Australia. Must have been the Irish influence here. You would hear newsreaders trying to say it this way. It did not trip lightly off the tongue. Actually, my concern all along was whether the 'ver' was supposed to be stressed in this word or not. Also, I am not at all convinced that there should ever be more than one accented syllable in a word.

[Edited at 2013-01-28 11:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-28 16:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-29 07:38 GMT]

So, this old discussion has been dragged up and I see the above comment that has been sitting here unchallenged for 5 years! I'm Irish and have never heard controVERsy. ControVERSIAL, yes, but CONtroversy normally in Ireland.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Research Oct 23, 2018

reSEARCH or REsearch?
homOGEnous or homoGENEOUS?

And since I'm Irish too:

adVERTisement or adverTISEment? - the latter is how my grandfather used to pronounce it.

By the way I dislike people who mispronounce "mischievous" as "misCHIEVIOUS" (adding an extra "i")

And don't start me on "nucular"....

P.S. I've often heard Americans say "perMITs" instead of "PERmits" (e.g. "before we can build this house we need to get all the pe
... See more
reSEARCH or REsearch?
homOGEnous or homoGENEOUS?

And since I'm Irish too:

adVERTisement or adverTISEment? - the latter is how my grandfather used to pronounce it.

By the way I dislike people who mispronounce "mischievous" as "misCHIEVIOUS" (adding an extra "i")

And don't start me on "nucular"....

P.S. I've often heard Americans say "perMITs" instead of "PERmits" (e.g. "before we can build this house we need to get all the permits".

[Edited at 2018-10-23 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Warwick Wakefield

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Irishness? Oct 23, 2018

What about "fillum", Tom?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ah yes Oct 23, 2018

Jennifer Forbes wrote:

What about "fillum", Tom?

Ah yes, the fillums. I do like a good fillum. The Irish Fillum Festival will be on in London soon.

http://www.irishfilmfestivallondon.com/events/2018/11/21/irish-film-festival-london-2018

[Edited at 2018-10-23 12:41 GMT]

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
data Oct 23, 2018

I heard my friends pronouncing data as data .

CRAZY !

How can someone pronounce it as data .

The correct pronunciation is data !

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dayta Oct 24, 2018

Lian Pang wrote:

I heard my friends pronouncing data as data .

CRAZY !

How can someone pronounce it as data .

The correct pronunciation is data !

People here say "dayta", and consider it a mass singular noun (like"software"). As in "I've got some DAYTA for you":

But other people say "DAHta" and consider it a plural. I think they're correct, but here in London I have to keep that a secret to myself.

[Edited at 2018-10-24 06:58 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dadda Oct 24, 2018

In North America, data is pronounced "dadda". In the UK, media is all too often pronounced "meeja" and treated as singular. Heigh ho. Vive la différence.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Getting too near Christmas? Oct 24, 2018

Jennifer Forbes wrote:

In North America, data is pronounced "dadda". In the UK, media is all too often pronounced "meeja" and treated as singular. Heigh ho. Vive la différence.

I think you mean "Hey ho"; however "Hey ho" implies "It's off to work we go".

Even better, therefore, would be "Ho hum".

Warwick Wakefield

Warwick Wakefield
Warwick Wakefield
Australia
CONTRAversy is based on a misunderstanding of the meaning and origin of the word. Feb 18, 2019

I am inclined to think that the pronunciation, CONTRAversy, has arisen because of the assumption that the main element of this word is the word "contra," meaning "against or opposing."

Then it follows that a CONTRA-versy is a discussion where two sides are expressing opinions and attitudes against each other.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
ContrOversy not contrAversy! Feb 20, 2019

I suggest you use the the word "misunderstanding" for your own posting.

Mats

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
a WHAT? Feb 20, 2019

david young wrote:

a program ...the program's name.

a WHAT?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1. CONtroversy or 2. conTROversy ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »