Alternatives to ProZ.com hosting
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 08:17
SITE STAFF
Sep 1, 2020

This forum thread is intended for the discussion of different options for email and web hosting, as alternatives to the legacy ProZ.com hosting service which will be retired on December 1, 2020. See the forum announcement and How to move to another hosting provider for more information.

To get things started, here are a few options I have heard good things about:

... See more
This forum thread is intended for the discussion of different options for email and web hosting, as alternatives to the legacy ProZ.com hosting service which will be retired on December 1, 2020. See the forum announcement and How to move to another hosting provider for more information.

To get things started, here are a few options I have heard good things about:

Full-featured paid hosting

* Bluehost: https://bluehost.com
* Dreamhost: https://dreamhost.com

Free options

* Google Sites: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9314941
* Gmail: https://google.com/gmail

Also see this previous forum discussion.
Collapse

MURAT TUKEL

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:17
English to French
GDPR Sep 4, 2020

For translators operating in Europe, I assume it is better to have a hosting provider in Europe.
I will go with OVH.

Philippe

Troy Fowler
Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:17
Japanese to English
Bummer to see ProZ.com hosting go! Sep 18, 2020

Hi Henry and ProZ.com crew,

First of all, thanks for providing a hosting service all this time.

I remember several afternoons spent eons ago sorting thru some odd feature buried in the depths of cPanel, but overall, I am quite sorry to see it go. I was looking for a "freebie" service that is basic, functional, and doesn't inundate me with ads or other random cyber-nag-ware, but at a loss for where to look. That's not a cry for help...just an observation.

... See more
Hi Henry and ProZ.com crew,

First of all, thanks for providing a hosting service all this time.

I remember several afternoons spent eons ago sorting thru some odd feature buried in the depths of cPanel, but overall, I am quite sorry to see it go. I was looking for a "freebie" service that is basic, functional, and doesn't inundate me with ads or other random cyber-nag-ware, but at a loss for where to look. That's not a cry for help...just an observation.

Take care ProZ.com crew!

Troy
Collapse

A. Patricia Pedraza

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Github Pages Sep 18, 2020

Github Pages (with Jekyll or Hugo)

Free hosting, just provide the domain name (approx. EUR 10/year).

Probably geared to the tech savvy, but pages are edited with markdown, it's no rocket science.

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Proz hosting Sep 28, 2020

Hi everyone,

I have been hosting my website with proz.com for years now, and my domain name too. Now, I am trying to submit a support ticket to proz.com to ask for help with migrating to another provider, accessing my old site via the cPanel, etc. However, when I go to the Help page, I cannot see how you are meant to submit a support ticket.

Many thanks in advance for any tips on how to do this.

Best wishes,

Sheila

P.S. I h
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have been hosting my website with proz.com for years now, and my domain name too. Now, I am trying to submit a support ticket to proz.com to ask for help with migrating to another provider, accessing my old site via the cPanel, etc. However, when I go to the Help page, I cannot see how you are meant to submit a support ticket.

Many thanks in advance for any tips on how to do this.

Best wishes,

Sheila

P.S. I have just found how to submit a support request! I hope someone can help me recover my website and transfer it to another hosting provider.

[Edited at 2020-09-28 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Ines Garcia Botana

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
A really interesting offer... Sep 29, 2020

Hello everyone,

I find this alternative very interesting. Worth looking into: the explanations of use are very well detailed. HTML, PHP, FTP. The only drawback, but it is not very significant, is the lack of email support.

https://infinityfree.net/

Seems to be really free and without ads.

Jean Dimitriadis
A. Patricia Pedraza

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks very much to Jason Oct 6, 2020

He was very helpful in getting me up and running again.

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:17
English to Latvian
Hetzner for EU hosting Oct 7, 2020

Haven't had any bad experiences with Hetzner as a webhost for several years. I have been using a "bare" VPS server with full root access from the outset but AIUI they also offer pretty cheap managed hosting, including e-mail hosting, for the less tech-savvy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to ProZ.com hosting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »