sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2018

Especially my language pairs DEEN and RU EN, RU DE
but in theory as many languages are possible.

Interested in the breakdown by Field of Expertise
last 12 - 24 m

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 23:43
English to German
ProZ search? Dec 27, 2018

Can you get these results by using the translator search on ProZ and seeing how many people it lists for a given language pair and specialization?

Edit: Or wait, are you looking for translators' fields of expertise by language pair, or for that of the jobs posted on ProZ? Or for something else yet?

[Edited at 2018-12-27 20:01 GMT]

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for.. Dec 27, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

Can you get these results by using the translator search on ProZ and seeing how many people it lists for a given language pair and specialization?

Edit: Or wait, are you looking for translators' fields of expertise by language pair, or for that of the jobs posted on ProZ? Or for something else yet?

[Edited at 2018-12-27 20:01 GMT]

Looking for proportion of job offers in each field of expertise per language pair

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Possible ways of scripting it Dec 28, 2018

SD Platt wrote:
I am looking for the proportion of job offers in each field of expertise per language pair.

Well, someone could script it for you, I suppose. Past jobs can be viewed in two interfaces, namely the old one (max 1 month into the past) and the new one (currently up to about 5 months into the past).

The old interface does not show fields of expertise in the list, so you'd have to visit each job's page individually to see what the field of expertise is. The old interface's search feature can't really be trusted either -- I think it gives "all" results for a given requirement if there are no results for another (e.g. if I try to find DA-EN jobs in field X, and there are no DA-EN jobs in field X, then I think the results simply show *all* DA-EN jobs).

The new interface does show the field of expertise in the list -- however, it doesn't show it in clear text, but only as a tooltip. Fortunately this tooltip is present in the HTML source code, so that makes it simple: simply save all 19 pages of the list of results for all past jobs (it goes up to about 950, but no further), and then process the HTML to extract the information you're looking for.

I'm too snowed under to script this myself right now, but maybe someone wants to give it a go? It should be straight-forward.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Statistics on Job Field of Expertise by language pair

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »