Thread poster: Nicholas Sahm
Nicholas Sahm
Nicholas Sahm
United States
Local time: 07:38
English
Jun 25, 2018

Dear members,

I am excited to announce the release of "What I Am Working On" reactions.
Please give any feedback or suggestions to further improve the feature and user experience.

The reactions currently available are "Cool!" and "I Do That" which work like the forum "agree" button. If a post has reactions, the amount of reactions will be displayed to the left of button. The names of those that have reacted will be displayed when the mouse is hovering over the mes
... See more
Dear members,

I am excited to announce the release of "What I Am Working On" reactions.
Please give any feedback or suggestions to further improve the feature and user experience.

The reactions currently available are "Cool!" and "I Do That" which work like the forum "agree" button. If a post has reactions, the amount of reactions will be displayed to the left of button. The names of those that have reacted will be displayed when the mouse is hovering over the message displaying the amount of reactions.

To view this feature, visit http://www.proz.com/wiwo/

Kind regards,

Nick
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:38
English to Italian
Ugh... Jun 25, 2018

Yeah... truly... exciting...

Thomas T. Frost
Philippe Etienne
Katalin Horváth McClure
MoSpa
Tom in London
Barbara Carrara
Ivana UK

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2004)
English to Italian
mmm.... Jun 25, 2018

do people really post stuff on WIWO?

Philippe Etienne
Tom in London

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh wow! So (un)professional! Jun 25, 2018

This site is getting more like Facebook every day .

Just saying (another FB favourite saying).

Thomas T. Frost
Alison MacG
Mirko Mainardi
Andy Watkinson
ahartje
Silke Walter
Philippe Etienne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, fix the other things first Jun 25, 2018

Nicholas Sahm wrote:
The reactions currently available are "Cool!" and "I Do That" which work like the forum "agree" button.

I think I understand why these two buttons exist. The "Cool!" button is just like a thumbs-up button, for people to let that particular translator know that they've seen his post. The "I Do That" button is probably a function that will eventually be used to improve directory listing rankings, i.e. if a translator had clicked "I Do That" on a WIWO post from English to Russian about the translation of widgets, then later when a client searches for English-Russian widget translators, that the translator who clicked "I Do That" will move up slightly in the list. Is that right?

I agree with the others here -- remove those buttons. They serve no purpose. The "I Do That" button in particular is useless because it doesn't tell other users what it is that that person also does (is it the same language combination, the same type of services, the same subject field, the same theme, etc).

Instead, fix the existing problems with WIVO.

At this time, the "Representative terms" are displayed in large letters while the actual WIVO comment is shown in small letters. This should be the other way around, or better still: the "Representative terms" should not be displayed in such large letters (and certainly not with an indent-like icon in the margin, which makes it look like it's quoted text).

This...

wiwo pic 1

turns into this...

wiwo pic 2

My suggestion is: make the "Representative terms" the same font size as the other additional information.

[Edited at 2018-06-25 15:31 GMT]

Daniela Zambrini
MoSpa
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ivana UK

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Batch upload Jun 25, 2018

For quite some time, I have asked for a WIWO batch upload facility, so I can upload my Excel job lists once a month instead of spending 2-3 hours a month entering each job manually.

Am I the only one would prefer that rather than useless social media buttons for teens? Has anyone actually asked for such buttons?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Samuel Jun 25, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, fix the other things first

I think I understand why these two buttons exist. The "Cool!" button is just like a thumbs-up button, for people to let that particular translator know that they've seen his post. The "I Do That" button is probably a function that will eventually be used to improve directory listing rankings, i.e. if a translator had clicked "I Do That" on a WIWO post from English to Russian about the translation of widgets, then later when a client searches for English-Russian widget translators, that the translator who clicked "I Do That" will move up slightly in the list. Is that right?

Hi Samuel.

Simply put, Nick has taken the functionality he developed for the forum agree function and applied it in WIWO. Looking at WIWO replies up to now, "cool" was about the most common word that people wrote. "I do that" was the second most common concept expressed. (In third place, though much less common, were people saying things like "contact me, we hire people doing this.")

The reactions were released last week and a good number of people have used both, so the feature seems to be meeting the interest, as expected.

Thanks for the suggestions about otherwise improving WIWO.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, Giovanni Jun 25, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Yes. 4504 people so far.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
What should the form be like, Thomas? Jun 25, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

For quite some time, I have asked for a WIWO batch upload facility, so I can upload my Excel job lists once a month instead of spending 2-3 hours a month entering each job manually.

We're aware of your request for batch upload. What would you like the interface to look like? (How would it be different than entering the form once per project?)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Batch Jun 25, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

We're aware of your request for batch upload. What would you like the interface to look like? (How would it be different than entering the form once per project?)

Thanks, Henry. I obviously don't want you to do it if I'm the only one interested.

As I already keep spreadsheets of jobs for billing purposes, I thought it would save a lot of time simply to upload the new entries to WIWO once a month (when I invoice) by copying the data I have already into a temporary Excel file ready for upload. If I bill for example 50 jobs a month, it would require a lot of additional work to manually retype all that data to enter it into WIWO.

We would simply need to know which columns the upload function requires, and if they have to be in a particular order, or if the upload function can determine it from a label in the first row. This would obviously need to correspond to the fields used in WIWO. You may also want to require a unique job reference number (no need to publish that) to prevent uploading the same job twice by accident and possibly do some more checking to avoid duplicates (although it cannot be ruled out that there are two jobs with the same data on the same day).

You would need to perform input field validation according to defined field rules.

I'm not interested in the 'instant' and commenting aspects of WIWO, but it could serve as an index of all jobs completed, so that I could refer potential clients to it, and the keywords are also useful for the new Find function.

I don't know how difficult this would be to design and implement, but if you want more design input, do let me know, as I spent 20 years working with software and programming (IBM mainframe; not this modern stuff).

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
German to English
+ ...
Why? Jun 25, 2018

It may be a dumb question, but what is the reason for having such a thing?

Josephine Cassar
Daniela Zambrini
Vera Schoen
Mirko Mainardi
Tom in London
Andy Watkinson
Barbara Carrara

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
uh... Jun 26, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Yes. 4504 people so far.

wasn't aware it was so popular...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Calm down Jun 26, 2018

Nicholas Sahm wrote:

I am excited

Good.

Mirko Mainardi
Andy Watkinson

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:38
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not necessarily an indication that it's liked... Jun 26, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Yes. 4504 people so far.

Some people do it just to get more exposure on the front page. I know I do it because it's a possible search parameter.

Mirko Mainardi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Katalin Horváth McClure

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Jun 26, 2018

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Some people do it just to get more exposure on the front page. I know I do it because it's a possible search parameter.

I guess I'm not looking for more work - I have plenty - so I don't have to advertise my services this way...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Feature: WIWO Reactions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »