Discussion for ProZ.com 2016 virtual conference for International Translation Day session (2016): Mind the gap between what you say and what you deliver

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for ProZ.com 2016 virtual conference for International Translation Day session (2016): Mind the gap between what you say and what you deliver".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Neal Allen
Neal Allen
United States
Local time: 07:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many helpful points about finding your own niche as a translator and building customer relationships Sep 30, 2016

Many helpful points about how to differentiate yourself in a competitive market and building customer relationships. However, I disagree with the suggestion that we do not rewrite bad text. I work in the legal field and the run-on, unintelligible sentences are so terrible that no one would understand them, unless I as a translator break them down in their real meaning. In general, however, his comments are spot on and reflect his considerable experience. I agree with him about visiting your c... See more
Many helpful points about how to differentiate yourself in a competitive market and building customer relationships. However, I disagree with the suggestion that we do not rewrite bad text. I work in the legal field and the run-on, unintelligible sentences are so terrible that no one would understand them, unless I as a translator break them down in their real meaning. In general, however, his comments are spot on and reflect his considerable experience. I agree with him about visiting your clients, when possible. I have done so and it has paid off with better relationships. Unfortunately, most of my clients are spread out all over the world.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for ProZ.com 2016 virtual conference for International Translation Day session (2016): Mind the gap between what you say and what you deliver

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »