Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 14, 2010

Can anyone help out on this please, and if this is the wrong forum, I apologise and will transfer it later to the correct one. I have been blocked by a false Windows XP Security centre alert and cannot get onto the internet because of it; it keeps giving me various warning messages and trying to get me to purchase protection, after which presumably it will make off with my bank and ID details.
Although I cannot gain entry on my name, I can log in through my partner and googled to see how
... See more
Can anyone help out on this please, and if this is the wrong forum, I apologise and will transfer it later to the correct one. I have been blocked by a false Windows XP Security centre alert and cannot get onto the internet because of it; it keeps giving me various warning messages and trying to get me to purchase protection, after which presumably it will make off with my bank and ID details.
Although I cannot gain entry on my name, I can log in through my partner and googled to see how to remove this false windows icon. We have been to bleepingcomputer and followed the instructions to download and then installed and opened Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, with no result.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or ways to do this please, as a not very romantic Valentine's Day beckons as we try to sort this out.
Thanks
Suzi
Collapse

I am in the same boat - help! May 30, 2011

I am getting the same internet-blocking result on my other computer. It's telling me I have numberouw infections, and won't allow me to do anything except buy a piece of software that I don't want. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Bad news May 30, 2011

Sorry to tell you, Otter but in the end I had to buy a new laptop. I tried everything, even called in a repair guy.
Good luck.
Suzi

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Virus May 31, 2011

I caught the same virus while browsing the Internet. My repair guy fixed it easily. He saved all the files and then reinstalled Windows.

One of my students also had it and she rebooted her laptop in safe mode and ran the antivirus (Avast, or in any case one of those that is available for free). This was enough to fix it. So don't throw your old laptop because it might still be repairable. Although you cannot access the Internet, you should be able to access your documents and save t
... See more
I caught the same virus while browsing the Internet. My repair guy fixed it easily. He saved all the files and then reinstalled Windows.

One of my students also had it and she rebooted her laptop in safe mode and ran the antivirus (Avast, or in any case one of those that is available for free). This was enough to fix it. So don't throw your old laptop because it might still be repairable. Although you cannot access the Internet, you should be able to access your documents and save them on a usb stick. Good luck.

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Sorry to tell you, Otter but in the end I had to buy a new laptop. I tried everything, even called in a repair guy.
Good luck.
Suzi
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP 2010 False security alert and phishing scam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »