Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
All power to Big-Google-is-watching-you?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NoScript Mar 4, 2012

Quite a long time ago I somewhere discovered NoScript and there are no ads any more - but not only this.

From their website ( http://noscript.net/ ):
"The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choic
... See more
Quite a long time ago I somewhere discovered NoScript and there are no ads any more - but not only this.

From their website ( http://noscript.net/ ):
"The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).
NoScript also provides the most powerful anti-XSS and anti-Clickjacking protection ever available in a browser."

I'm using Seamonkey almost exclusively (well, there still are websites not working but with IE...) and by the time I got so used to having a look at the NoScript icon that I feel uncomfortable when browsing with IE

@ Laurent: Yes, this StreetView incident was also in German news. The man wants to have 10,000 Euros but IMO these are peanuts!
Collapse

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good ideas go as fast as the wind Mar 5, 2012

Charlotte Blank wrote:
If you are worrying about your privacy (and not only that!) try this search engine:
https://startpage.com/eng/
"Startpage search engine protects your Privacy!

With the new privacy policies of Google I thought it was a good idea to take a distance and I also came to www.startpage.com.

I searched the European Privacy Seal to get an idea of the seriousness of the statements given by startpage, and although I didn't go to far in, I can say that it's backed by the EU, and that gives me more credibility. Specially after reading an information that says that Google collaborates with a particular Government delivering users information.

I am also a fan of Mozilla, because unlike Explorer it lets me manage cookies with utmost freedom allowing and disallowing at will. And it's incredible the amount of traking cookies (unnecesary for funcionality of most websites) that get lodged in your computer without you knowing it unless you establish that no cookie can get in unless you allow it to. Are you sure you know what each of those cookies does?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Polish to English
+ ...
That's what you think. Mar 6, 2012

inkweaver wrote:
Since I've got nothing to hide, it doesn't really worry me.

An old communist maxim went something like this: "Show me a man, and I'll find a paragraph to put him in jail."

It's not what you think - whether you're innocent or not. It's how others will use information about you to pin something on you and get you in trouble.

This is obviously paranoid thinking of one who's lived in communist Poland, but you need to bear that in mind. Even if the information used against you is distorted somehow, before you sort everything out, the damage will have been done.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here too Mar 6, 2012

PAS wrote:

This is obviously paranoid thinking of one who's lived in communist Poland

It's no different here in capitalist wonderland. As a friend of mine puts it "they know where to come and get you when they want you". I don't want to get political, but here's one current example:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/christopher-tappin-refused-bail-by-american-court-7541500.html

[Edited at 2012-03-06 10:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All power to Big-Google-is-watching-you?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »