Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:34
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 1, 2012

Hi everyone

Since last night I´m literally INNUNDATED with spam mails (failed delivery messages) from web.de. I´d never had any problems like this before and I don´t know how to get rid of that constant flow of mails (at least 2,000 in the last 24 hours). It´s driving me crazy. And I cannot even direct them to the spam folder.

Any help/ideas/mail address of web.de (which online of course is hard to get by), would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
E-mail Filter Dec 1, 2012

In my Gmail account, I can set up a filter that prevents all emails from a certain domain (e.g. web.de) from reaching my inbox. Perhaps a similar solution might work for you. I can list the steps for Gmail accounts here if you would like.

Kind Regards.

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Питер Dec 1, 2012

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, this option is available, and I´ve already put that particular e-mail address on the spam folder list, but it doesn´t arrive there. It still goes straight to my inbox

OG Pete
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Does the address change? Dec 1, 2012

Hi Manuela,

Is the spam always from the same address (i.e. always x@web.de), or does the address change (i.e. sometimes x@web.de, then y@web.de, and then z@web.de, and so on)?

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mainly the same address Dec 1, 2012

about 98% of the mails are from exactly the same address. There are a few inbetween (let´s say 2-3 out of 100) that are different. But those also indicate a failed delivery. And the failed delivery e-mail addresses stated I´ve never ever heard of, let alone have I ever sent an e-mail to one of those addresses.

OG Pete
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Filter not 'Mark as Spam' Dec 1, 2012

Hopefully some IT maverick will post in this forum soon, but in the meantime maybe you could set up a filter to keep all e-mail from that particular address (or even every address from web.de) from reaching your inbox (it would go straight to your archive). You could sort through them later. The idea is to 'filter' them, not mark them as 'spam'.

My spam folder is full of emails with the subject "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender," of course they're all fake and so ar
... See more
Hopefully some IT maverick will post in this forum soon, but in the meantime maybe you could set up a filter to keep all e-mail from that particular address (or even every address from web.de) from reaching your inbox (it would go straight to your archive). You could sort through them later. The idea is to 'filter' them, not mark them as 'spam'.

My spam folder is full of emails with the subject "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender," of course they're all fake and so are their headers.
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
failed delivery? -- DANGER!!!! Dec 1, 2012

Manuela Junghans wrote:

Since last night I´m literally INNUNDATED with spam mails (failed delivery messages) from web.de.

Wait a moment - "failed delivery" might mean YOU are sending something and YOU are getting these because delivery of YOUR emails failed.

Please check YOUR computer, as it might be infected and trying to swamp the internet with spam or worse.

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the madness continues Dec 1, 2012

@Питер: How do I set up such a filter you suggested?

@Siegfried: that´s a possibility. But how do I find out? And more important, what can I do to get rid of it? I´m certainly not voluntarily sending spam...

Just now it has started again. It was quiet for about 1 hour and now I´m again getting hundreds and hundreds of those failed delivery mails...second after second...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since a day
OG Pete
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Web.de filters Dec 1, 2012

Manuela Junghans wrote:

@Питер: How do I set up such a filter you suggested?

I'm not sure. I know how to do it for Gmail, but I assume you're using web.de for mail, and so I don't know I can't read German well and so it's hard for me to "google it".

Hopefully someone will post a solution soon.

@Siegfried

I don't see how her computer could be at fault if she were using webmail like web.de, gmail, etc. Perhaps my assumption is wrong.

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
filter and system scan Dec 1, 2012

I´ve now set up such a filter as suggested that will hopefully delete all mails from that particular address immediately. But even if that works it will be unlikely to resolve the underlying problem. I´m currently running a full system scan, let´s see what that comes up with.

Thanks Siegfried for those links. I will try them.

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Siegfried Dec 1, 2012

Do you think it might be a solution if I try a system restore to, let´s say, last week or so?

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No idea Dec 1, 2012

I have no idea what might help, as I never had a similar problem), but to be honest, I don't think that a system restore will resolve your problem. What might help is a complete restore from a recent complete backup if you got one.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your web.de account is probably hacked Dec 1, 2012

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Wait a moment - "failed delivery" might mean YOU are sending something and YOU are getting these because delivery of YOUR emails failed.

Assuming web.de is a web-based email account (as it seems to be according to a brief search on Google), some nutter might have guessed your password, decided to not change it as to not alert you before it is too late and send masses of spam. I would start with changing your password and alert the Web.de helpdesk (if you haven't done so already).

Then comes the more bothersome part: identify which message(s) went out (it should be located in your 'Sent emails' box or its equivalent) and alert all your contacts to what happened. I had something similar happen to my hotmail account a few years ago and depending on the nature of the spam it can cause major friction between you and your contacts...

[Edited at 2012-12-01 11:22 GMT]

Manuela Junghans
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Theo Dec 1, 2012

welcome to that very unpleasant discussion...

thanks for your comments. Yes, it seems my account has been hacked. I´ve been in touch with the help desk and have changed the password in the meantime.

So hopefully the problem will be solved.

Thanks for the tip about informing my contacts. That will indeed be a bothersome task. I hope my being hacked hasn´t caused anyone else any problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

web.de spam problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »