Thread poster: usaviet
usaviet
usaviet
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
May 12, 2017

A friend of mine forwarded to me this letter from a guy named "Smith Finner" saying he also texted him. To make it even more believable, he would fabricate some "contract". Then he would send you a fraudulent check for an amount higher than the agreed amount he would pay you and ask you to send the difference to someone else "Urgently". If you deposit his fake check, the amount will still show up on your account for a short while before it disappears, but during this short window, a lot of peopl... See more
A friend of mine forwarded to me this letter from a guy named "Smith Finner" saying he also texted him. To make it even more believable, he would fabricate some "contract". Then he would send you a fraudulent check for an amount higher than the agreed amount he would pay you and ask you to send the difference to someone else "Urgently". If you deposit his fake check, the amount will still show up on your account for a short while before it disappears, but during this short window, a lot of people thought the money is legit and fall for the trap.

Don't be fooled by this decades old trick and be smart

Enjoy!

Hello,
Thank you for your response. You will be working on an advertising book that is meant to be published after translation. The English version is available for all but needed to be accessible in other Non-English languages as well. We have over 17 different language translators working on this project and I must say that contacting you for this is a plus for you.

This work is outsourced to me by Feedback Secret Survey Services and I will appreciate if you handle this with high level of confidentiality. Attached with is the project you will be working on and It's around 44,589 word count.

There is certainly going to be a contract to be signed, the delivery date is 7 weeks from starting date and we are looking forward to kick start on the 19th of May, 2017.Concerning the payment, it's going to be strictly by Bank Check and it will be done at 3 Installments.

30% at the commencement of the project.

30% at the middle of the project and

40% at the completion of the project.

Please this project is a knowledge productivity enhancer and as such, we require the best from you.Kindly get back to me with your final charges, full name, and address to process your payment.

Thank you
Smith
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! May 12, 2017

Just the name "Feedback Secret Survey Services" makes me shiver...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They're learning a little May 12, 2017

usaviet wrote:
I will appreciate if you handle this with high level of confidentiality.

Concerning the payment, it's going to be strictly by Bank Check and it will be done at 3 Installments.

30% at the commencement of the project.

To me, you and others who keep abreast of these things, it's obviously a scam. And "Feedback Secret Survey Services" is both a giveaway and frankly creepy. But look at it from the point of view of a newish translator who's just finding their feet. They'll probably have heard about staged payments for larger jobs, so they won't see anything odd in this offer. It isn't even about payment by travellers cheques or anything else dodgy (although few of us in Europe would want to receive a check - presumably in USD). Then, if they're having doubts, the confidentiality issues may prevent them from doing too much checking.

So this one really worries me. I wish there was a way to get the message to more new translators. For anyone reading this who's a newbie and/or might have fallen for this scammer's email, please visit the Scam Centre here on ProZ.com, read up on all the ways these scammers practise their "trade", and sign up to be alerted automatically to the evolution of these scams.

Uasviet, can I ask you to report this one there so staff have all the latest information?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:47
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Dangerous May 12, 2017

The "old" Pro's can immediately tell that it's an advanced payment scam, but the "Newbies" might fall for this "antique" scam. So perhaps as some sort of rule of thumb to save our young colleagues from getting in trouble, not only financially, but also with legal consequences, to keep in mind that accepting a check (especially when they state "payment will be strictly by bank check") bears certain risks, especially if the amount exceeds the agreed value. So perhaps the new colleagues might not a... See more
The "old" Pro's can immediately tell that it's an advanced payment scam, but the "Newbies" might fall for this "antique" scam. So perhaps as some sort of rule of thumb to save our young colleagues from getting in trouble, not only financially, but also with legal consequences, to keep in mind that accepting a check (especially when they state "payment will be strictly by bank check") bears certain risks, especially if the amount exceeds the agreed value. So perhaps the new colleagues might not accept bank checks at all, and should always ascertain that the money transfer amounts to exactly to what has been agreed upon.Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Checks are commen in the US May 12, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

So perhaps the new colleagues might not accept bank checks at all

The OP's profile says that he is in the U.S. Here, payment by personal or business check is much more common than payment by bank transfer. If U.S. newbies were to refuse checks, they could lose out on many job offers. My experience is that U.S. companies prefer to pay by check if the translator resides in this country.

usaviet
usaviet
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, and this is how the scammer would reel you in, see how he offers a higher amount than agreed? May 13, 2017

> On May 11, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Smith Finner wrote:
>
> Greetings to you.
>
> Oh My God, this is a delicate affairs! I must say that your integrity has come to speak at this crucial time. I got the list of payments approved for the translation project and I discovered that the finance officer issued out a Check containing a higher amount meant for another translator in your name.
>
> For the finance officer, she is facing a panel presently and her suspension i
... See more
> On May 11, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Smith Finner wrote:
>
> Greetings to you.
>
> Oh My God, this is a delicate affairs! I must say that your integrity has come to speak at this crucial time. I got the list of payments approved for the translation project and I discovered that the finance officer issued out a Check containing a higher amount meant for another translator in your name.
>
> For the finance officer, she is facing a panel presently and her suspension is non negotiable .Truth be told, the possibility of the other translator getting paid is heavily dependent on you now. The payment is already processed in your name and I can't afford to look stupid by requesting for re issuance of another check to you. Attempting to do that will hamper my business relationship and I'm seriously counting on your integrity to pay the other translator once you get the payment.
>
> I'm not thinking straight now, I will get back to you with further instructions concerning this. Please bear in mind that any inconveniences arising from this will be adequately compensated. I look forward to read from you concerning your thoughts about this and I will appreciate if you can treat this particular mail with high confidentiality because this is really a big issue on my part.
>
> Thank you and God bless you.
>
> Regards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of Scam. Smith Finner

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »